KERRY Parker had every right to feel devastated when owners took Dark Dream off him during the week, just days after he won his first Group 1 with their horse.

He told the owners late last year that Dark Dream was a Queensland Derby prospect and he did a fabulous job to get him peaking for the Group 1 feature six months later.

No other trainer could have done a better job.

JOCKEY Peter Wells said it was all against Lisdoonvarna at Rosehill on Saturday from a poor barrier. She was up on a hot speed by fell away poorly to finish 14 lengths off Asterius. “The outside gate was always going to be a concern considering she can go a bit keen,” he said. “She went fiercely in the middle stages.” That wouldn’t have made the punter that plonked $7000 at $3.90 feel any better. There was also a $6,400 bet at $4.40 taken.

ANOTHER runner that upset punters at Rosehill was $2.45 favourite Sayed when it was last to Harper’s Choice in the Winter Cup. Jockey Sam Weatherley was instructed not to lead by Chris Waller so he sat outside Araaja. “I would have liked cover in the small field because he can over race and he only came back to me at the 1800m,” he told stewards. “He’s a very difficult horse to ride. It (run) was too bad to say he just over raced.”

KROGH BREAKS THROUGH
QUAYDE Krogh got his first Saturday city winner when piloting Gala Moshea to victory at Rosehill. “It was a relief because I didn’t know if I’d be able to get one while I’m here. Fellow jockey Adam Hyeronimus said he deserved plenty of recognition. “He’s worked his arse off with Gai (Waterhouse) for the last four months,” Hyeronimus said.

TORNADO Gal, by Hard Spun, outstayed her rivals at Rosehill because her pedigree is steeped in stamina beginning with her dam, the Sir Tristram mare Sky Trist, who won the VRC Queen’s Cup over two miles at Flemington in March, 2000. Sky Trist passed on all that stamina to her foals including her son Sly Romance, who won a race over 4000m at Caulfield in 2016. “That helps with the staying because Hard Spun’s aren’t really stayers,” said trainer John Sargent.

TIM Phillips is considering applying to become a licensed jockey again after serving time in jail for an assault on former partner Peta Hall at his Woodlands home in July 2015. He will have to appear before the licencing committee to get his license back (to mainly ride at the picnics).

BEST BOSS
GLEN Boss should be in line for Father of the Year after treating daughter Carter Rae to a brand-new car for her 18th birthday.

MARY Sadler died on Friday aged 110. She was the mother of trainer John Sadler and at the time of her death was the fourth oldest person in Australia. She saw Phar Lap win the 1930 Melbourne Cup. What a life!

THE English are taking every precaution due to the “extreme” weather conditions at some of their racecourses this week. The 30C heat means they will have extra water for staff on course at Southwell. How would they go in central west NSW on a summer’s afternoon?

GOOD on the Poms, though, for announcing that all stable staff, including horse float drivers, at Jockey Club Racecourses will get free meals at their meetings. They will hand out 25,000 free feeds at their 348 meetings this season at 15 courses, including Newmarket, York, Epson and Aintree.

CHECK out the race names at Taree on Sunday. The club has honoured the area’s finest sportspeople and the first event is the Danny Buderus Handicap.

HORSES TO FOLLOW: Bubbles’n’Troubles (tough filly with upside), Gitan (big run under the circumstances), Redouble (ready to win now)

ONES TO SACK: Sayed (no excuses), Tango Rain (too many chances)

RIDE OF THE DAY: BRENTON AVDULLA on Harper’s Choice (perfectly judged staying effort)

QUOTE OF THE DAY: “I’ve had a little bit of luck on him, he must like my hard riding,” said Tye Angland after winning on Realing once again.