The hip and shoulder is dead. Long live the hip and shoulder. The AFL Commission this week effectively banned the bump this week when it decided intentional high-impact strikes to the head will no longer be referred directly to the tribunal but attract an automatic three-match suspension.

Let’s call it the Ryan Burton rule after the round five incident this season where he collected North Melbourne’s Shaun Higgins high but was cleared by the AFL.

Players simply won’t risk a three-match ban when they have an option not to bump.

I don’t like the rule change and neither do any of the current players I have spoken to.

By all means get rid of gutless, blatant strikes to the head, but not accidental clashes. There should even be a clause in the standard playing contract that players accept head injuries are part of the game.

Some players are more susceptible to concussion than others and thankfully AFL clubs are much better at dealing with it than when I was running around.

Those who suffer repeated concussion should be forced to sit out of the game, not only to protect themselves but those who want to compete fairly against them.

I understand the AFL wants to minimise head contact and there is a push to make the workplace safer, particularly in light of the litigation in the NFL with regards to head injuries.

Rugby and league have tightened their rules and are doing everything possible to limit head contact. Soccer is even investigating the use of headers as they cause jarring to the brain and there are constant clashes of heads while competing for the ball in the air.

But can you ever see the day that headers are eliminated totally? I can’t, which is why I have serious issues with this rule in AFL.

Don’t confuse the perfectly executed hip and shoulder with front-on forceful contact that was eliminated years ago. Those who transgress are dealt with harshly as they should be.

Players and fans want contact in the game; it’s part of why we part with good coin to go through the turnstiles.

The other rule change is a good one. Players who lift their studs out towards opponents in marking contests and general play will be penalised.

Let’s call that one the Toby Greene rule. He did it numerous times this year, but one on Sydney’s Nic Newman was a really bad look.

I wanted him suspended as I felt he was not protecting himself, he was kicking in the air at an opposition player.

Similar actions next season will result in free kicks paid, fines or suspensions.

The AFL has also vowed to crack down on niggling acts off the ball, be stricter on fining players for careless umpire contact and added stomping and eye gouging to the offences referred directly to the tribunal.