LIVERPOOL, England -- Jurgen Klopp called Liverpool beating Newcastle United 4-0 a "pretty perfect day" but admitted to being confused by Anfield's cheers late in the game.

Liverpool's bid for their first ever Premier League title was strengthened as Manchester City suffered a 2-1 defeat at Leicester City on Boxing Day.

"It looked like kind of an open game," Klopp said. "After the first 15 minutes we were good. But we lost the formation, we were too wide offensively. If you play the ball in behind then good, but if they could clear it with the header, we were not there.

"1-0, fantastic goal, quick in mind, set-piece was brilliant, fantastic cross, good reaction from pretty much everyone in the box and fantastic finish from Dejan. I was happy about half-time that we could adjust a few things and get back to the way we actually we wanted to play. That made life easier.

"Second half we scored pretty early on and then we controlled the game and scored wonderful goals, set-piece fantastic and then even Ali [Alisson], apart from all his football playing skills, showed what his actual job is and saves a clean sheet.

"So, pretty perfect day for us, not a perfect performance but really good performance."

Word of City's scoreline spread around Anfield in the late stages of the Newcastle rout, sparking loud cheers and chants from Liverpool supporters.

City have dropped down to third in the league standings, with Tottenham Hotspur's 5-0 win over Bournemouth taking them up to second.

"I thought it [the crowd reaction] was because of us," Klopp said. "I'm really naive, I thought that is really nice 'thank you very much.' Then now I heard after the game it was about another result.

"Obviously, nobody told our crowd that Tottenham won 5-0.

"It is fine, atmosphere for Boxing Day, people coming from all over, around the world to watch, the atmosphere was really good and exceptional in that moment. But I thought it was because of us."

At the halfway stage of the league season, the win over Newcastle takes Liverpool's points tally to 51 -- meaning it is the club's best ever start to a season.

"[It's] good that we have six points more than other teams, but that is pretty much what we wanted to do all the time -- create a basis for the rest of the season," Klopp concluded. "Now the first part of the season is over.

"We want to create our own history, so the first time in the Premier League unbeaten, we conceded seven goals, that is good. Numbers good, good situation, but 19 games to go.

"So we play Arsenal, we play City, we play Tottenham, we play all the teams again. It's very difficult, very long way to go, we know that.

"I had no idea how any other team was playing, I didn't even know where they were playing. Afterwards I got the results and I have to say it didn't do a lot for me. It is just information.

"We have to win our games, we have to be focused, we have to be really in the mood and have tunnel vision and see where it will leads us."