FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Everything changed in a "Flash."

The New England Patriots were struggling to find their groove on offense Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings when receiver Josh Gordon exploded on to the scene late in the third quarter. His big-play ability helped change the complexion of the team's 24-10 victory at Gillette Stadium.

Consider the dramatic turn of events.

Gordon, nicknamed "Flash," had not been targeted in his first 29 snaps as the Patriots weren’t consistently attacking down the field. But after the Vikings tied the game at 10 with just over 2 minutes remaining in the third quarter, and the home stadium had grown quiet, Gordon got involved in a big way.

His 24-yard catch-and-run kicked off the Patriots' ensuing drive, and three plays later, Gordon was in the end zone with another 24-yard catch-and-run touchdown. New England never trailed again.

“You know, I just had to be patient. I think that’s just how the flow of the game was going,” he said. “I didn’t really question the game plan, I just went along with it. My trust is in the coaches. I think they trust me. It worked out for us.”

But Gordon wasn't done.

He drew a 20-yard offensive pass-interference penalty to begin the Patriots' next drive before adding a 10-yard catch-and-run play to advance the ball to the Vikings' 2 yard-line. That set up another touchdown.

“It was exactly what we needed,” running back James White said. “It happens like that sometimes -- you might not get the ball at first, but when your number is called ... he made some big catches for us and kind of changed the game a little bit.”

The Patriots hadn't routinely been threatening downfield prior to that point, but there seemed to be a notable shift in approach after Minnesota tied the game at 10. And that's precisely why the Patriots traded for Gordon in September, because they didn't have anyone at the position with his big-play ability.

Gordon’s touchdown catch was a notable one, as it helped Tom Brady tie Peyton Manning for the most scoring passes in NFL history (playoffs included), with 579.

“It must be fate. I won’t say coincidence, but it’s great to be on the receiving end of it,” Gordon said. “Extremely humbled to come out here every Sunday and get a chance to play, let alone with Tom Brady, the greatest to ever do it. So to be part of history with him? I can’t really even put the words to describe what that means to me. It’s just great to have the opportunity.”

In helping the Patriots improve to 9-3, where they remain in the chase for the AFC's top playoff seed, Gordon is experiencing high-stakes December football for the first time in his career.

Entering the Vikings game, he had said, "This part of the season is Patriots football. It's what they're known for. We have to put our foot to the gas and get it going."

On a day in which the Patriots were stuck in neutral, Gordon was the one who pressed his foot on the accelerator to lift them up.