Giancarlo Stanton accepted his NL MVP award in New York City on Sunday alongside new Yankees teammate Aaron Judge, but it was an old teammate who may have gotten the most notable mention.

Stanton told the the New York chapter of the BBWAA former Marlins teammate Jose Fernandez predicted before he died in a 2016 boat crash that both of them would play together for the Yankees .

“He said, ‘Hey, if this doesn’t work down here, I’m gonna be a free agent, and I’m gonna sign with the Yankees and you’re coming with me,’” Stanton said (via the New York Post). “Well, now I’m here and I’m gonna take a little piece of him with me and bring it to New York. It’s great to be here.”

During Sunday’s event, broadcaster Bob Costas called Stanton and Judge, the reigning AL Rookie of the Year, a “modern-day Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris” after they combined for 111 home runs in 2017.

Yankees GM Brian Cashman and new manager Aaron Boone were also in attendance getting a look at their slugging duo together for the first time.
“I’m excited to be here in New York and experience the big city, bright lights,” Stanton said. “It’s gonna be a lot of fun for me.”