Lotus have appointed Carmen Jorda as a development driver for the 2015 season.

In her new role, the 26-year-old Spaniard, who most recently raced in GP3, will attend Grands Prix and Formula One tests throughout the year, as well as undergoing a significant simulator programme at the team’s base in Enstone.

Jorda will also drive Lotus’s 2015 machine, the E23 Hybrid, on track during the course of 2015.

“It feels like a dream come true to join Lotus F1 Team,” Jorda commented. “I’ve been racing since I was ten years old so it was my dream to drive a Formula One car since I was very young. Joining Lotus F1 Team is a big step towards my goal.

“I will be working to improve myself as a driver as well as helping the team to develop the car by testing new developments in the simulator; it’s such a fantastic opportunity. I know this is just the beginning and the biggest challenge is yet to come but already being part of a team with such a history is a real honour. This is a great achievement, but an even greater opportunity which will lead to bigger and better things.”

Lotus’s CEO Matthew Carter added: “We are happy to announce Carmen Jorda as a development driver for Lotus F1 Team and we are looking forward to working with her over the course of the season and ultimately seeing her behind the wheel of the car.

“Carmen will bring a fresh perspective to the team. We have a strong programme for her attending Grands Prix as well as extensive time in our sophisticated simulation facility at Enstone. She is a unique addition to the team and we are looking forward to helping her progress her goals as well as receiving the benefit of her insights and contributions to the development of the E23 Hybrid.”

In addition to racing in the Grand Prix-supporting GP3 Series, where she has a best finish of 13th, Jorda has competed in the European Open Formula Three Championship - where she achieved three podiums - and the American Indy Lights Championship.