Johnny Manziel credits a wake-up call from his mother as the inspration for his recent turnaround.

During a Wednesday interview with ESPN, the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback opened up about his struggles with substance abuse and how the negtive effect it had on those most important in his life motivated him to make a change.

"I got so low to the point where I questioned what I was doing and if my life was probably really worth living to a point anymore and got really down and really had to sit and reflect and look on what I was doing every day," Manziel said

"My mom came to me one day and asked me — she didn't really ask, she was just in tears — 'What are you doing with your life? Why do I have to go around and get this secondhand of words and conversations of the negative things you're doing around the world that's coming back to me?'
"And I saw how bad that it broke her heart, and it sucked. And it really hit home."

Last month, Manziel revealed he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder “about a year ago” and has been taking medication to remedy the effects. He admitted to “self-medicating with alcohol” in the past but said he’s not drinking anymore.
"I have a great family. I was always raised the right way. I knew the difference from right and wrong, but for whatever reason, I just liked to choose wrong," Manziel said. "And I got in that rut."

Manziel performed at Texas A&M's pro day on Tuesday with all 32 NFL teams present. While he is still pushing for an NFL comeback, he will make good on his contract with the CFL if no options come from his workouts.

Manziel's rights are currently held by the CFL's Hamilton Tiger-Cats and he has already committed to play in the Spring League, a developmental league in Austin, Texas, beginning this month