The squad: Jake Lehmann (c), Alex Carey, Tom Cooper, Callum Ferguson, Spencer Johnson, Joe Mennie, Harry Nielsen, Kane Richardson, Alex Ross, Chadd Sayers, Cameron Valente, Jake Weatherald, Daniel Worrall, Adam Zampa

Possible starting XI: Weatherald, Carey (wk), Ferguson, Cooper, Ross, Lehmann (c), Valente, Richardson, Mennie, Zampa, Worrall

Who they're missing: Travis Head (Australia duties)

The 2017 result: Runners-up

The inside word with Jake Weatherald

Young gun: "I think Harry Nielsen will be a big threat if he gets a chance this tournament but Spencer Johnson excites me the most; being a left-hand batter I know how hard it is facing left-arm bowlers. There's plenty of left-handers going around in state cricket and I think he'll cause them plenty of trouble. I haven't faced him for a little while but he was very quick when he was younger, and he's a lot stronger now so he'll be a lot quicker too, which is very exciting for us. Hopefully the wickets in Perth will have some bounce and suit him nicely."

Player to watch: "Alex Ross is a very underrated cricketer, and he's probably been a bit stiff to miss out on some Australia A selections. He's one of the most talented players I've ever seen, and hopefully this tournament he can make a couple of hundreds and win a few games for us from five or six. He's been pretty solid for us in white-ball cricket and he'll be the most key man for us. I think the game is generally won by the guy at five or six who can make that quick-fire 30 or 40 when it really matters, and Ross did that for us well two years ago and in a game against New South Wales last year, so hopefully he can do it consistently this year."

Team strength: "Our bowling attack is very good, and capable of defending small totals if we need to. We showed that against Queensland last year, with Joe Mennie bowling very well, and Adam Zampa giving us a strong spin option. Then there's guys like Cam Valente and Daniel Worrall, and the option to play two spinners with a couple of our young guys, so it's a good all-round attack."

Biggest threat: "Queensland I reckon. They were the benchmark in the Shield last year, they really clicked and they're a bit like us in that a lot of them developed at the same time, and their bowling attack is very good. It'll be interesting to see how many players they lose to the Test team. And then you've got WA, who are always around the mark as well."