JARRYD Hayne has revealed he spent more than a year battling a debilitating stomach problem he believes he picked up while training for Fiji’s Rugby Sevens team.

Hayne let spill on Tuesday that he was diagnosed with H-Pylori last year while at the Gold Coast, leaving him bloated and generally ill for the best part of 12 months.

The Parramatta superstar had to undergo surgery after the disease attacked his stomach’s lining, as his immune system suffered and he struggled to digest food.

The 30-year-old has enjoyed the best stretch of football since his return to the NRL in 2016 over the past six games and believes it’s due to the fact he’s finally healthy again.

“We didn’t know what was going on in my stomach,” Hayne said.

“I think we’ve really balanced my gut out and I feel awesome and it’s showing.

“I’ve found a real good balance before the North Queensland game (in round 14) and my body has felt amazing since.” Hayne believes the issue began when he drank local water while training with Fiji during his bid to play in the 2016 Olympics.

He first went for tests last year and was placed on antibiotics before the problem emerged again at the start of this season and made him ill before and during games.

“I had to go see doctors and have a couple of surgeries,” Hayne said.

“It’s obviously tough when you don’t know what’s wrong with you and you can’t do things you normally can.

“That was obviously affecting me. I’m on top of it now but it’s going to be a long process. It takes three or four months to clear the stomach.”

He’s since given up eggs and a number of dairy products, lowered his coffee intake and is taking various supplements and probiotics.

“I feel great now,” he said.

“Within a month I’ve lost two kilos. Everything’s gone down and feels good.

“I’m back eating cereal now; I haven’t eaten it regularly for about 10 years. I’m back on that with the coconut milk.”

Preparing to take on the Titans on Saturday for the first time since leaving last year, he ducked questions on whether he wanted to return to rugby next year for a shot at the 15-man World Cup with Fiji.