JAMIE Whincup is going global.

Supercars star Whincup has revealed plans to tackle the world when he decides to scale back on his Australian commitments.

A seven-time Supercars champion, Whincup is contracted to Brisbane-based Red Bull Holden Racing Team for another two years.

Whincup will be 37 when his current Supercars deal expires at the end of 2020 and is yet to commit to racing full-time in Australia beyond then.

Whincup will be a leading contender at this weekend’s Gold Coast 600 and told The Courier-Mail he was eyeing a stint overseas.

“I’ve had plenty of thoughts but nothing planned,” he said.

“It’s still in the planning stage. I love sport and motor sport.

“I will be involved in some way, shape or form until I’m 80 I reckon.

“That (racing overseas) is something I’d like to make an option.

“There are plenty of opportunities out there. It’s about the direction you chase.”

The taxing Supercars schedule, which started in March and will finish in late November this year, limits drivers’ opportunities to race overseas. If Whincup pulls the pin on fulltime Supercars driving in 2021 he will have more opportunity to race abroad.

Whincup, the defending Supercars champion, said he wanted to race at world renowned tracks.

“I’d love to do some big overseas races for sure,” he said.

“The attraction is the race tracks. I want to drive around Spa (Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium) and Monza (Italy) as well.

“They are the two big ones that I want to do some laps around in some way, shape or form in the next five years before I get too old.”

Whincup’s teammate Craig Lowndes is also planning to race overseas next year after retiring from the fulltime Supercars circuit.

Lowndes, a seven-time Bathurst champion, will race at Surfers Paradise for the last time as a fulltime driver this weekend and said he was open to offers next year.

“Le Mans (France) is the one I’d love to compete in because of the style of race (24 hours),” he said. “It’s like a Bathurst and one I’ve always wanted to do before I hang up the boots fulltime.

“That’s the big hit list at the moment. Whatever else I can do would be a bonus.

“Having the opportunity to be able to do it is what we all need. If was to go around another 12 months (in Supercars), you limit yourself to being able to do that.

“There’s no doubt Jamie will be a very competitive driver wherever he goes or whatever car he drives.”