JAMES Cummings aims to end his epic season the same way it started with Piracy part of a potential swag for the Royal Blue as the curtain comes down on 2017-18 at Rosehill Gardens.

Cummings won the first two races of the current season, with Piracy and future Group 1 star Alizee saluting at Warwick Farm on August 2 last year.

While Alizee is being prepared for an ambitious spring, Piracy has been primed for a bold first-up bid in the ATC Hong Kong Tour Sprint (1100m) with a string of impressive barrier trials.

It will be the son of 2006 Silver Slipper winner Plagiarize’s first outing since he finished down the order in the Group 3 Zeditave Stakes (1200m) at Caulfield in late February.

“He is a cheeky customer but he seems full of life,’’ Cummings said.

“I thought he performed solidly in his public trials and his training has been no different.

“We just had to be careful with him to make sure we were happy before we sent him to the races. He was guilty of having an embargo placed on him so we have overcome that, just, and I know that we can’t have him feeling any better.’’

Godolphin’s claim on the feature Listed ATC Winter Challenge Stakes (1500m) rests with Flow, a son of Winx’s sire Street Cry, who finished third in the Civic Stakes over 1350m on June 30 prior to his fading seventh of the 12 runners in a 1200m benchmark race two weeks ago.

“We were just mixing up with him last time, he was always going to be better suited at seven furlongs (1400m) and now he is up to seven and a half, he could capitalise on his really good pattern,’’ said Cummings.

“Flow is coming out of a handicap so he meets these horses at a disadvantage but he will enjoy the weight drop.

“He is capable of making his own luck and he’s drawn well to do that.’’

Cummings will require three sets of the Royal Blue silks to disperse among Souchez, Eusebio and Drachenfels who line up together in the ATC Thanks Owners Handicap over 1200m. Rachel King’s mount, Drachenfels, goes into the race second-up after an eye-catching return when beaten a diminishing two lengths by Albumin, who is on Saturday aiming for four straight wins.

“Drachenfels was above himself at the races first-up, he was just too fresh, and it cost him because he made a mess of the start,’’ Cummings said.

“I think second-up he is capable of managing his energy better and performing well again, but doing it the right way around.

“He was flying last campaign, he knocked off Savvan on Melbourne Cup day, then in December he beat Lanciato and he’s definitely feeling as good now as he was then.’’

Lonhro’s son Souchez has some compelling numbers to sway punters — not least being two wins from three Rosehill appearances — but will require plenty of luck from his inside draw if he is add to his tally.

“To get himself into the clear he will (need luck),’’Cummings said. “And he’s not been showing a lot of intent in the first half of trials this time in. But he’s got something to offer if he can charge his way into the clear.’’

Canberra Guineas winner Eusebio rounds out the Godolphin trio, the son of Benfica is back home after a barnstorming win at Moonee Valley on June 16.

“He had had about six weeks between runs. I just wasn’t that happy with him a fortnight ago and I am quite convinced Eusebio is not the horse to run when there is any shadow of a doubt so we’ll see if he can draw on that fresh run by running well again with a nice break in between,’’ Cummings said.

The trainer can get punters off to the right start today, with the Denman filly Laburnum sure to play a part in the ATC Owners Recognition Day Handicap (1500m) after two rock-solid runs behind her.

“She is going nicely, she is still not the full package yet while she is still putting it all together but there is a lot to be said for the way she finished off her last start,’’ Cummings said.

BID TO BE 2019 NO. 1 STARTS NOW
IT’S been some season for star jockey Blake Shinn.

Five Group 1 wins, including a Doncaster Mile on Happy Clapper, a Sydney Cup victory on Who Shot Thebarman and he almost spoiled Winx’s third Cox Plate with a perfect ride on Humidor.

Shinn will end 2017-18 second on the Sydney jockeys premiership behind Brenton Avdulla but he’s using Saturday’s Rosehill Gardens meeting as a springboard to next season.

“It’s been another good year and there have been a lot of highlights. There’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes. I’m always at the gym and I take my job very seriously,” Shinn said on Saturday.

“I topped my overall prizemoney this season with more than $14 million.”

He’ll look to add to that by taking out the $150,000 Listed Winter Challenge (1500m) on Invinzabeel on Saturday.

Shinn gave the Chris Waller-trained runner a gem of a ride from barrier 12 last start when he ran second to Dreamforce in the Winter Stakes (1400m) but his job has been made a touch easier this time after the horse drew gate one.

“He gave me a great ride last start and I was impressed with the way he kept trying right to the line,” Shinn said.

“He’s drawn a much better barrier this time and should get all the favours in the run so I’m very confident in the horse and he’ll go close again.

“The extra 100m helps too. We’re going to get the run of the race. He deserves to win.”

Thinkin’ Big will open Shinn’s account in the first of the day for two-year-old’s over 1500m and he’s the full brother to Group 3 winner Stampede.

After winning on debut, he proved he wasn’t out of place in Saturday grade last start when third to Helaku.