After his Rugby League World Cup heartbreak, Jake Trbojevic is savouring every appearance in the green and gold jumper.

The Manly forward is back in Mal Meninga's Australian squad for Saturday's Test against New Zealand - a match that shapes as an important milestone for himself and his family.

Rewind 12 months and the 24-year-old had just been robbed of the opportunity to play in the Kangaroos' World Cup win after tearing his pectoral muscle in the opening game.

While Manly had an NRL season to forget, Trbojevic was an uncompromisingly consistent performer for the Sea Eagles and earned his way back into the national set-up.

When asked whether he feared he had lost his spot in the Australian pecking order to players like Reagan Campbell-Gillard and Wade Graham, who got the job done against England in the World Cup final, Trbojevic said: "I try not to think about it too much.

"I was really happy just to be in the World Cup squad from the start. To play against England I was really happy with that. I didn't expect to be in the starting team, that was really awesome.

"It was tough but I'm just really happy to be back in the Australian side. It's the pinnacle."

The injury also robbed him of the chance to play in an Australian jumper alongside his brother Tom - a dream the pair will realise on Saturday at Mt Smart Stadium.

Meninga has named Tom as a replacement for Greg Inglis at centre - a position he's played just five times in his career.

The Sea Eagles No.1 made four club appearances in the centres for Manly in 2016 when he was toiling behind Brett Stewart.

He also played there for Australia against minnows Lebanon during last year's World Cup.

Jake described his brother as a student of the game and backed him to star in the unfamiliar position.

"He's got massive boots to fill," Jake said.

"But he played a bit of centre in his early days there at Manly, he did a good job there.

"He'll be fine. We've got good coaches and great players alongside him."