THE mark of Jack Edwards as a future Australian star might be that he emerged from a blistering Mitchell Starc spell with a smile on his face.

NSW could be in for a long season if their sketchy early season batting form is anything to go by, but 18-year-old opener Edwards is the one silver lining.

Throughout his entire childhood he was told by his father the family would never get Foxtel, but the night Edwards was named to debut in the one-day cup alongside his brother Mickey last week in Perth, a set-top box was express-delivered to the home in Manly.

“All it took was for us to get on TV,” said Mickey.

Jack Edwards rose above another mediocre Blues performance on Tuesday at North Sydney Oval with an impressive 68 off 50 balls in the clash against Tasmania.

In a pre-season match the younger Edwards played for NSW against a National Performance Squad featuring Starc and Nathan Lyon in its arsenal and managed a classy 66 off 92.

According to Mickey, Starc bowled a “160km bumper” about an inch past Jack’s nose, but the Australian under 19s World Cup star is adamant the experience was “fun.”

“It was fun. It was a good challenge against Starc and Lyon,” he said.

“There are opportunities (here for the Blues) for whoever wants to take them.

“I think the under 19s World Cup showed me what it takes to be at the next level playing against better bowlers and it gave me a lot of confidence I can perform at that level and hopefully this one as well.”

Fast bowler Mickey also played for NSW on Tuesday night against the Tigers, and the pair are the first brothers since Mark and Steve Waugh to represent the Blues.

The pair are five years apart in age but share the same long blond surfy locks.