COLLINGWOOD'S global talent search might well produce another couple of gems after the Magpies signed two promising Irish teenagers as Category B rookies.

Emboldened by the astonishing efforts of American big man Mason Cox, the Pies were excited to announce on Tuesday they had acquired the services of 18-year-old key-position hopefuls Mark Keane and Anton Tohill.

The talented pair – who have both benefited from being coached by former Irish AFL players in ex-Magpie Marty Clarke and former Brisbane and St Kilda player Colm Begley – were standout performers with their speed and agility in the recent NAB AFL Draft Combine.

However, given their inexperience with the oval ball, it was their kicking skills that were most impressive.

The 194cm Keane, from Cork, finished second in the goalkicking test (behind Collingwood Next Generation Academy player and draft prospect Isaac Quaynor) while 198cm Tohill, from Derry, came 12th in the overall kick testing.

They were invited to the AFL Draft Combine after excelling at both the Dublin Combine last December and the AFL Academy's camp in Florida in January.

Collingwood's national recruiting manager Derek Hine was optimistic about their potential to develop into key-position players.

"Mark and Anton will really add to our developing key-position depth," Hine said.

"They are different to each other in the manner in which they play. Anton has the makings of a tall utility who will be capable at both ends of the ground, with the potential to play minutes in the ruck.

"Mark is very strong overhead and has natural game sense. We can see him playing as a key forward or key defender."

Australian football isn't an entirely foreign game to Tohill, whose father Anthony was a star Gaelic footballer who tried out with Melbourne before returning home after suffering a broken leg at 20 in 1991.

Tohill junior is determined to go a step further than his father.

"Footy is for me. I want to give it a good crack," Tohill told AFL.com.au at the Draft Combine.

"I want to do the best I can and do whatever I can to play professional footy."

Keane had also adapted quickly to the Australian code, having played junior rugby.

"We've only been playing the game a few months and we've both come a long way since then, so give us a year or two of training and we'll show what we can do," Keane said.