“GENTLE giant” Devin Toner was Ireland’s not so secret weapon in their second Test win and his 2.10m frame looms large over Saturday’s series decider against the Wallabies in Sydney.

The 31-year-old sat out the opening Test loss in Brisbane but was one of several key Leinster men recalled by coach Joe Schmidt as the world’s No 2 side gained revenge in Melbourne to set up the winner takes all clash in front of a sold out Allianz Stadium.

Toner, a veteran of 59 Tests, ruled the aerial contests in the 26-21 triumph and looks set to hold his starting spot in the second row alongside 21-year-old phenom James Ryan.

Ireland great Jamie Heaslip knows Toner’s influence intimately, having packed down behind him for 13 years with first Leinster and then at Test level.

Toner has a reputation as one of Ireland’s most popular players — although Heaslip joked that he had also been the victim of the big man’s friendly fire.

“He’s probably one of the most laidback men I know as well, which makes him so loveable,” Heaslip told the Fox Rugby Podcast.

“He’s a big gentle giant.

“The funny thing you always used to say is that Dev never gets injured, but he’s the one person that injures everybody.

“I’ve lost so many bloody toenails, so many stitches around my feet from bloody lifting him or elbows when I’m coming back down from lineouts.

“He’s the most awkward man in the world to be on a team with — he injures all his own players at training.

“But he’s a great lad, you saw his presence in terms of commanding the lineout and the restarts, he bossed that.”

No 8 Heaslip, who played 95 Tests for Ireland and five for the British and Irish Lions, predicted that Australia would now avoid kicking the ball in Toner’s direction — as the Irish did with Israel Folau at AAMI Park.

The Irish backrow trio of CJ Stander, Dan Leavy and outstanding captain Peter O’Mahony were effective in negating Wallabies stars David Pocock and Michael Hooper in the second Test while centre Robbie Henshaw also made a nuisance of himself at the breakdown and slowed down the home side’s ball.

“Ireland’s backrow made their presence more known around the ruck,” Heaslip said.

“Ireland were really effective with their line speed which massively affected (Bernard) Foley and (Kurtley) Beale and really cut off the distribution to your back three who are so dangerous, especially Folau.

“I thought the combination of Garry (Ringrose) and Robbie (Henshaw) in midfield was fantastic.”

Heaslip hoped dynamic hooker Sean Cronin would get a start in Sydney but was otherwise happy with how the touring squad was placed heading into the final match of a gruelling season.

The stakes are high, as Ireland seeks its first series win in Australia since a 2-0 triumph way back in 1979.

Two tries to Colin Patterson and the boot of Ollie Campbell proved decisive 39 years ago as Ireland won the Tests 27-12 at Ballymore and 9-3 at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

They also chalked up tour victories against WA, ACT, NSW, Queensland and NSW Country with a 16-12 loss to Sydney the only blot on the record books.

“From an Irish perspective, we’re on the brink of having our most successful season ever,” Heaslip said.

“They’ve won a Grand Slam, Leinster has done the double and they’re possibly able to finish with a series win in Australia.

“That would be a massive season while at the same time having brought through a lot of different players.

“It sets us up great, 16 months out from a World Cup.”

With the finish line and summer holidays in sight, Heaslip didn’t anticipate fatigue being a factor for such a special occasion.

Sydney’s significant Irish population is certain to come out in force on Saturday.

“It’s going to be like a Rocky Balboa fight where they just keep punching each other and see who falls down first,” Heaslip said.

“I think it’s going to be a really close game again.

“There’s a lot of Irish in Sydney so I think you can be sure it’ll be a crazy Irish crowd.

“This is the third tier one game in three weeks which half mimics what the World Cup will be like in the knockout rounds.

“That’s why these tours are huge.

“It would round out Ireland’s most successful season ever and I’d love to see them do it.”