INVINCIBLE Star proved there is no substitute for class with a brave win at Rosehill Gardens yesterday.

After a winless, disappointing spring campaign, Invincible Star regained winning form in the Listed $140,000 Starlight Stakes (1100m).

The brilliant mare was under siege from the turn but simply refused to let any of her rivals get past her in a thrilling finish where less than two lengths separated the first nine over the line.

Adrian Bott, who trains in partnership with Gai Waterhouse, said it was a relief to see Invincible Star score her first win in 14 months.

“It was good to see that from her because there were a few question marks over her after her Melbourne campaign,’’ Bott said. “In our eyes she has showed us she still wants to do it and still has that zest for racing and she has proved that with this win.

“She really showed her fighting qualities as she was there to be beaten today.’’

Invincible Star ($3) looked to be in trouble halfway down the straight but maintained a slight advantage right to the line, scoring by a short neck from Badajoz ($11) with My Favorite ($41) a neck away third.

Marsupial was sent out the $2.90 favourite and ran on well wide out to finish a close sixth in a blanket finish.

Tim Clark, who completed a winning double on Invincible Star after his earlier success on Mazaz, said the mare showed a “new string to her bow” in the Starlight Stakes.

“I haven’t ridden her a lot but she usually uses all her speed and runs them off their legs,’’ Clark said. “But today she showed plenty of fight, she is a very tough mare.

“I was concerned at the 200m when they were coming at me but from the 100m onwards every time something came at me she found a little bit more.

“She has been a little bit inconsistent at times but when she is on she is very good.’’

Bott said Invincible Star will be aimed at the $1 million Magic Millions Sprint on the Gold Coast next month.

“It was good to see her back winning against the pattern of the day and we can plan ahead with confidence now,’’ Bott said. “Just watching her parade before the race, she still has improvement to come.

“We did very little with her after Melbourne. She has freshened up nicely and this run will do her the world of good. We have time on her hands to set her for the Magic Millions carnival.’’

Badajoz and My Favorite ran very good races for minor placings while Deploy, carrying 61kg, ran very well to finish a close fourth.

“Deploy’s run was super,’’ jockey Josh Parr said. “He had a good blow afterwards so he will take plenty of improvement out of this race.’’