THE Perth Wildcats have dodged a bullet with star centre Angus Brandt and import Terrico White still hoping to play against Cairns on Saturday.

Brandt crashed to the floor against Brisbane on Friday and it appeared he had re-injured the right ankle he damaged playing for Australia in September.

White sat out that game with hamstring pain and there were fears the pair could be sidelined for an extended period.

Scans showed Brandt had a minor strain and White a slight strain, and the club says they could play this week.

Captain Damian Martin (calf) wasn’t as fortunate and has already been ruled out.

Perth beat Brisbane and Illawarra last weekend despite missing their three starters.

Coach Trevor Gleeson said his team was reaping the benefits of recruiting quality people who could handle pressure instead of focusing on talent.

The Wildcats made dramatic changes to their roster during the off-season and targeted Australians while signing only two imports. Gleeson said their early success justified those recruiting decisions.

“We’ve been big on getting the right guys and we didn’t do that last year,” Gleeson said.

Greg Hire and Chris Robinson discuss the big changes to Bryce Cotton and Terrico White on this week's episode of The Dribble Podcast.

“We didn’t get the right guys — because in a pressure situation, it comes out. That’s what happened to us last year.

“We were very mindful first and foremost, if the personality is good, but the talent is right there, we’ll go for that instead of the rock star.”

Nick Kay and Mitch Norton have been key players since joining and stepped up when it mattered in recent games.

Kay had double-doubles against Brisbane and Illawarra, while Norton’s ability to perform under pressure late in matches has helped to drag the Wildcats to victory.

Vice-captain Greg Hire said it was no coincidence that the Wildcats had repeatedly withstood a barrage of pressure to win this season.

“Playing against Mitch and Nick throughout my whole career, they’re players I’ve always admired and respected,” Hire said.

“When we signed them, I knew they were going to buy into the club’s systems and values.

“Those challenging games are where a few possessions here and there can decide a game.”