"I went away [after the Indian series] and had a look at some footage and found a couple of things to work on" - Guptill © AFP

On Saturday, Martin Guptill walked out to bat at Hagley Oval and blasted his way to another century, second in two games in the ongoing series against Bangladesh, to help his side to a comfortable eight-wicket win. Set 227 to win and take an unassailable lead after another disappointing display with the bat by the visitors, New Zealand creamed off the chase with 13.5 overs remaining to go two-up in the three-match series.

Guptill, in the company of skipper Kane Williamson, proved to be the chief architect of the chase as the duo put on 143 for the second wicket. Much like Williamson, who had struggled to get the big scores, Guptill too was struggling for form during the India series. In four matches, the New Zealand opener had managed only 47 runs before he was ruled out of the final match of the rubber with a back injury. However, it was the failure in the series that got him to find faults with his game and work on it.

Guptill's 88-ball 118 was punctuated with 14 boundaries and 4 sixes. With this ton, he has equalled Nathan Astle's record of 16 ODI centuries - standing second only on the list to his good friend Ross Taylor, who has 20 to his credit.

"(Today) felt a bit like the me of a couple of years ago, which is pleasing to be able to feel that and hopefully, I can just keep pushing on from here," Guptill said after the match. "I went away [after the Indian series] and had a look at some footage and found a couple of things to work on and made sure I drilled those in while I was at home and came back and so far it's working."

Even as Guptill was declared the Player of the Match for a second consecutive game, the win was set up by the bowlers, who bowled out Bangladesh for 226. The charge was led by Lockie Ferguson, who returned with a three-fer. He was also well-supported by Todd Astle and James Neesham who bagged a brace each.

Guptill acknowledged their contribution and said, "We always thought we might have the upper hand and the way our bowlers have really set the tone up front has really made it tough for Bangladesh to get away with the bat."

Even as New Zealand won the match comfortably and sealed the series before the last game of the rubber, the lapses in the field were hard to ignore - something that they might struggle to get away with against tougher oppositions or in tougher match situations. While Taylor dropped two sitters, Todd Astle and Henry Nicholls also spilled chances.

"No-one ever wants to drop a catch and no-one ever goes out setting out to do that," he said. "You have those days sometimes. It was quite gloomy [on Saturday morning] and we'll work on that over the next couple of days."