Bengaluru FC broke Aizawl FC hearts deep in stoppage time on Sunday as Marjan Jugovic headed in a Sunil Chhetri freekick to hand them a 1-0 win at the Sree Kanteerava Stadium in Bangalore.

Speaking exclusively to Goal after the game, the Blues' skipper Sunil Chhetri made his joy with the three points clear after an admittedly sub-par performance.

“I would take three points any day. Three points is what we have missed in many games this season where we have played very well.

Despite being out of contention for the I-League title this season, Bengaluru had the unique opportunity to play kingmakers on Sunday. Aizawl are surprise championship contenders and the Kolkatan giants East Bengal and Mohun Bagan were probably rooting for a Bengaluru win ahead of their derby that the Mariners clinched.

But Chhetri made it clear that that was never on the defending champions' mind.

“We are not thinking about that. We are just focused on our game. At Bengaluru, we are not used to playing games where we are not contenders for the championship, but still, we just want to win.

"And you know what, it translates. Winning becomes a habit. You take that to the next games and we are still in the AFC Cup and yet to play the Federation Cup, so that is crucial,” he felt.

“Not much, really. You’re not supposed to abuse. He was abusing, I was just keeping shut. The crowd can say what they want to say. But the players and the staff are supposed to maintain the respect,” he cleared the air.

The Indian skipper is known for his professionalism and he did have enough energy after the draining game to crack a joke about the situation.

"The camera was on my face, so I can’t even abuse, so all the best to him!”