IF horse racing is the Sport of Kings, then it’s only fitting jockey Hugh Bowman and basketballer Andrew Bogut share the same stage on a super Saturday in Sydney.

As Bowman rides Brave Smash in the $13 million TAB Everest at Royal Randwick, Bogut will be making his NBL debut when the Kings take on the Adelaide 36ers at Qudos Bank Arena.

It’s rare that hoops and horse racing cross-promote but on Saturday they’ll join forces on a bumper day of sport in the Harbour City.

The Kings take on Adelaide in their season-opener from 2.50pm and will show The Everest, the world’s richest race on turf, on the big screen when the gates crash back at 4.15pm start.

Both men have two of the toughest jobs in Australian sport.

Bowman is the regular rider of champion mare Winx, charged with continuing her amazing 28-race winning streak, while Bogut has been brought in to turn around the fortunes of a Kings franchise stuck in the doldrums the past few years.

While Bogut isn’t the biggest horse racing pundit, he was happy to join forces with a giant of the track in Bowman.

“Hugh is taller than I thought,” Bogut joked as he stood face-to-face with Bowman as champion Winx jockey used a chair to make up for the height difference.

“He actually said he was one of the taller jockeys in the clubhouse.

“I don’t know that much about horse racing but now I have an affiliation with somebody I will follow it a little bit more.

“It is a big weekend for sport in Sydney and it is good to have the Sydney Kings a part of that.

“There might have been times in the past where people even forgot the Kings were playing that weekend.

“But to come here and do a photo and cross-promotion with such a big sport like horse racing is a step in the right direction.”

As a self-confessed sport lover, Bowman was equally enthused to meet Bogut for the first time.

The boy from Dunedoo in the NSW Central West grew up following basketball, so he felt honoured to rub shoulders with a former NBA champion.

“It is cool because it is just good to see basketball back on everyone’s lips,” said Bowman, whose Everest ride Brave Smash is a $14 TAB chance.

“I remember as a kid it was pretty big, especially the Kings. They were up there with the Swans and any of the NRL teams.

“But the sport sort of went off into the wilderness for a few years but with Andrew back it has drawn a bit of attention and a lot of spotlight on not only the Kings but basketball.”

Bowman was happy to pose for photos with Bogut on Thursday but come Saturday afternoon he’ll have his game face on.

He can’t wait to put on a show for a 30,000-strong crowd at Royal Randwick.

Bowman believes The Everest has a long and successful future.

“I think within five years it will be one of the biggest sporting events on the Australian racing calendar,” he said.

“Last year I was a bit apprehensive as to how well it might go.

“But the feeling around Randwick that day last year was like nothing I’ve ever witnessed on a racecourse.

“It was actually quite special and that will be built on this year. It is attracting a really young crowd and they are here until stumps.”

Bowman is also keen to attend a few Sydney Kings games after Bogut extended him an invite.

“I haven’t been to a live basketball game and I’d love to,” he said.

“I’m a sporting enthusiast regardless of which event.”