Roger Federer hasn’t just been an inspiration to Stefanos Tsitsipas.

The Greek 20-year-old, widely rated the most exciting young talent on the ATP Tour, says Federer has played a huge role in his rise, despite the fact they have never played one another.

That is all about to change, with the pair to meet at the Hopman Cup at RAC Arena on January 3.

Their Thursday night showdown is a moment Tsitsipas has been thinking about for a long time.

“I am smiling already, I am picturing things in my brain of how it is going to feel and look like to be sharing the same court as him, it is a privilege to be playing such a respected athlete of our sport,” Tsitsipas said.

“He’s not just an inspiration, I also think that he has played a huge role over my performance and development over the years. I continue to push myself daily to achieve what he has achieved, and I honestly think that being in his position one day would be the best feeling on earth. That is what I am working for every day of my life.

“I watched this event as a kid on television and I remember saying to myself that I would like to play this tournament one day. It is something new for me and I am excited to be sharing the court with the best, and I am excited that Roger will be there, it is a good challenge for me and obviously I want to do well there because I think it can help with my confidence before an event like the Aussie Open.”

Tsitsipas has been getting a front row view of his hero after being invited to train with Federer in Dubai.

“His coach got in touch with us and he offered good training facilities and conditions before the Aussie swing and we accepted it,” Tsitsipas said. “I’m hitting with the best and learning as much as I can from the experience.”

Tsitsipas became the first Greek man to make the top 100 in October 2017, but 2018 has been a breakout year after climbing from 91 to 15 by season’s end.

He beat a string of the world’s top men including Novak Djokovic on the way to a loss in the final to Rafael Nadal at the Rogers Cup in August, won his first ATP title in Stockholm in October and beat Australia’s Alex de Minaur at the Next Gen Finals’ decider in November.

His fourth round appearance at Wimbledon was his best grand slam performance of the year, with his first round exit in Melbourne his worst result at the majors.

“I really believe that fitness played a big role this year and also mentally I was a different player, more mature more patient and more professional in what I was doing,” Tsitsipas said.

“To make semis or better in a grand slam, win a masters event and finish at the Nitto finals at the end of the year (are my goals for 2019).

“I think rankings are very important but having a good level and playing well in grand slams are important.

“These are the tournaments that have the biggest value and count the most for us players. “

Tsitsipas will team with world No.41 Maria Sakkari, 23, in Perth where the trailblazer is hopeful of making even more history for his country. They will open the mixed-teams tournament against Great Britain on Saturday (Dec 29).

“I have never played doubles with her, but we have practised before,” he said. “You never know what can happen but we will play with heart and the spirit to win and that could be the hinge point for us.

“Wow, it (winning) would be the best start of the year. I like to enter any tournament with low expectations and take each match at a time. So, let’s see what happens.”