HAWTHORN has appointed former TAC Cup coach Torin Baker to a development role at the club in 2019.

Baker, who served as the Western Jets' coach over the past six seasons, will join Alastair Clarkson's coaching panel as a development coach with Max Bailey to step up as the man in charge at VFL affiliate Box Hill next year.

VFL premiership coach Chris Newman has moved into a role as assistant coach at the Hawks.

Baker took the Jets to three finals campaigns in his six seasons at the helm, winning 41 games across that period.

A former teacher, Baker said he hoped to make an immediate impact in his new role.

"This is probably the next step for me now in my coaching so I'm really excited to be able to get this position at Hawthorn," Baker said.

"I think a background in teaching lends itself well to those transferrable skills in coaching.

"I really value my teaching background and I've certainly used it a lot within my footy coaching."

Clarkson coached Baker while he played for Werribee in 2000 and the new development coach can't wait to see what he can learn under the decorated coach.

"I invest heavily into relationships with my coaching," Baker said.

"I think coaching is a real communication game and that's what I will aim to bring and something that my background suggests I will be able to do.

"Everyone in the AFL industry just talks so positively about Hawthorn so that is really exciting for me and I feel really welcomed by the group already."