LIVING in Perth with a young family proved too difficult for Sam Mitchell, who explained his reasoning for returning to Hawthorn as an assistant coach on a three-year deal.

Mitchell had been contracted as an assistant with West Coast until the end of 2020 but broke the deal due to how tough living on the other side of the country proved to be.

"I'm really excited to return to Hawthorn, a true family club, and it feels really special to get back to the place I spent 15 years of my playing career," Mitchell told hawthornfc.com.au.

"Perth is a great place, but it became apparent that with the heavy travel commitments and living in an isolated city away from our support network, was not conducive with a young family.

"I spoke to West Coast mid-year and explained my intention. (Football manager) Craig Vozzo was so supportive, and we worked together to ensure that this would not be a distraction for the players.

"I am glad we did, as finishing my two years at West Coast with a premiership was a special experience."

The news of Mitchell's return to the brown and gold had already been known.

He played 307 games for the Hawks, moving to the Eagles for his final season and lining up in a further 22, and won four flags in a highly decorated career.

"Sam has been a huge part of the Hawks family over many years and we know he will bring a great deal to our club as a coach, like he did as a player," Hawks football manager Graham Wright said.

"We know our players will learn a great deal from Sam and we look forward to having Sam, wife Lyndall and their children Smith, Emmerson and Scarlett back at Hawthorn."