A few months ago, young Victorian fast bowler Tayla Vlaeminck was simply hoping to make her Rebel WBBL debut this summer.

She never imagined she'd make her T20 International debut. Or that it would come on the biggest stage of all, during the World T20.

But that's exactly what happened on Saturday at Guyana's Providence Stadium, when Vlaeminck was presented with T20I cap No.51 by fellow pace bowler Megan Schutt ahead of Australia's fourth and final pool match against India.

For the 20-year-old from Bendigo, who has already endured two knee reconstructions and a dislocated shoulder in her short career to date, the fairytale journey from hospital ward to international cricket didn't come with the perfect ending on Saturday, Australia suffering their first loss of the tournament as they went down to India by 48 runs.

But Vlaeminck impressed in her two overs and produced the highlight of the match, a stunning one-handed diving grab that will be hard to top for catch of the tournament.

Having replaced Renegades teammates and housemate Georgia Wareham in the Australian XI, Vlaeminck was handed the new ball and took 0-9 from her two overs.

"I was in the huddle and (captain) Meg (Lanning) said they'd start with me and I though 'oh God', I was pretty nervous but it was good to get into it early," Vlaeminck said after the match.

"I didn't know where the ball was going in that first over, I couldn't really feel my hands I was so nervous, but it turned out okay.

"It was good to get a good first over in and get the nerves away, then coming into the second over I felt a lot better and like I could control what I was trying to do."

But it was her screamer at square leg to dismiss India batter Veda Krishnamurthy that captured the most attention, with Vlaeminck leaping high and full length to pluck the ball out of thin air.

So surprised, and understandably thrilled, was Vlaeminck by the catch, she had to watch several replays on the big screen just to believe it had happened.

"It's a bit of a blur really, I was pretty nervous in the field, I was probably more nervous in the field than I was with the ball," she said.

"So when I saw it coming my way it was just natural instinct that took over and I was lucky enough to get a hand on it and it stuck.

"It was a bit of a fluke to be honest, but it was pretty cool.

"I saw it a few times on the screen and the girls gave me s*** for watching it, but it was okay."

Vlaeminck's already endured more serious injuries than many athletes suffer in their entire careers, but her raw pace and bounce has meant she's remained under the watchful eye of Australian selectors even while sidelined through injury.

She's yet to make her WBBL debut, with injuries preventing her taking the field for the last two seasons she's held a Renegades contract, but her performances on Australia's Under-19s tour of South Africa in April, and her time training with the National Performance Squad in Brisbane through the winter, were enough for her to earn a place in Australia's World T20 squad.

And reward for her resilience, putting in the hard yards to return from three serious injuries.

"If someone told me two or three years ago this would be happening now, I wouldn't have believed them," Vlaeminck said.

"And even two or three months ago, if someone said I'd be making my T20 debut at the T20 World Cup, I would have laughed at them.

"I did a lot of hard work to get over (those injuries) and to get here, but it's still an amazing opportunity that I'm pretty grateful for."

Australia head into a World T20 semi-final this week and, should that go to plan, a final at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium on November 24.

Then, Vlaeminck and her teammates will board a plane bound directly (via several different continents and numerous time zones) for Melbourne, for the opening weekend of WBBL|04 at Junction Oval on December 1 and 2.

There, the right-arm quick hopes to finally play that first game in red, when the Renegades meet Sydney Thunder.

"I was thinking about that the other day," Vlaeminck said when asked about the fact she'd debuted for Australia before playing her maiden WBBL match.

"I'm pretty excited to make my debut hopefully for the Renegades when I get back if I'm given the opportunity.

"I was unlucky both years with injury, for the first full season and three-quarters of the second one, but hopefully if they give me a chance I'm a ready for it this year."