Axed Test batsman Peter Handscomb has sent national selectors a timely message with his gutsy, unbeaten century putting Victoria in charge in their JLT Sheffield Shield clash with South Australia.

As Australian wickets tumbled in the ODI in Perth on Sunday, Handscomb notched his 14th first-class century at the MCG to help the home side to 7-345 at stumps, with a 101-run first-innings lead.

With wickets falling regularly around him in the opening two sessions, Handscomb was forced to dig in and patiently see out the storm after the Vics fell to 5-193.

On a pitch that still offered a bit for bowlers, the 27-year-old was rarely troubled, reaching 103 off 186 balls, with 11 fours, after tea then saw out a tricky period before stumps.

He will resume on 123 on day three with Test seamer Peter Siddle on 13.

Handscomb's technique was picked apart as he struggled towards the end of his run of 13 Tests, which ended when he was dropped after another misfire against South Africa in March in Johannesburg.

The right-hander, having scored four one-day cup half-centuries in a row, maintains he hasn't made wholesale changes to get back among the runs.

"I've made a couple of very minute tweaks and it's a bit of a mindset thing ... just going back to believing that my game is good enough," Handscomb told AAP.

"I had this technique in the three years before playing for Australia and I made runs in all of those years. I made runs with this technique when I played for Australia then I started tinkering with it and my form started to drop.

"So I've gone back to knowing what I do really well and backing in my strengths ... that's the main thing."

With a Test series starting next month against India, Handscomb's century couldn't have come at a better time.

"If that opportunity does come, I'll be doing everything in my power to ensure that I stick to my game and stick to my guns and try to make as many runs as possible," he said of any possible recall.

"... But I'm here trying to win games for Victoria, making sure the boys here are doing all the right things.

"If anyone starts thinking about higher honours, it really takes away from their performance for their state."

Handscomb's innings swung the contest well and truly back in his side's favour after the visitors enjoyed a bright period just before lunch and throughout the middle session.

The Vics resumed at 0-72 in reply to South Australia's first-innings total of 244, with Travis Dean and Marcus Harris moving the score along to 132 in the morning session.

After his unbeaten 250 against NSW last week, Test hopeful Harris made it 315 runs without dismissal before he was caught behind off the bowling of Nick Winter for 65.

Winter also removed Dean for 75 from 133, then had Cameron White caught behind for a duck to be the pick of the bowlers with figures of 3-81 off 28 overs.

On Saturday, Victorian paceman Scott Boland gave his own chances of a return to the national set-up a boost with a devastating spell.

A Tom Cooper century helped the Redbacks to 4-231 at tea, but they lost 6-13 in a stunning collapse after the resumption.

Play VideoBoland in seventh heaven after MCG haul
Boland took 5-8 in four overs to finish with 7-54 off 17 overs.

Victoria: Peter Handscomb (c), Fawad Ahmed, Scott Boland, Travis Dean, Seb Gotch, Marcus Harris, James Pattinson, Peter Siddle, Matthew Short, Chris Tremain, Cameron White, Eammon Vines (12th man)

South Australia: Jake Lehmann (c), Tom Cooper, Callum Ferguson, Conor McInerney, Joe Mennie, Harry Nielsen, Lloyd Pope, Chadd Sayers, Cameron Valente, Jake Weatherald, Nick Winter, Kane Richardson (12th man)