Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton has equalled Michael Schumacher's record of five Italian Grand Prix wins and left Ferrari feeling the pain yet again in their own backyard.

The Mercedes driver and his Ferrari title rival Sebastian Vettel tangled at the fourth corner of the opening lap, with the German spinning while the Briton sped off with an undamaged car.

Vettel then fought back through the field from 18th to fourth, ending the day 30 points behind Hamilton with seven races remaining.

Vettel's Finnish team mate Kimi Raikkonen finished second, after starting on pole position and racing superbly, with compatriot Valtteri Bottas third for Mercedes.

Australian Daniel Ricciardo retired on lap 25 due to clutch issues while his Red Bull teammate Max Verstappen was fifth.

The thrilling victory was a fifth in a row for Mercedes at Monza.

"It was one of the most exciting of victories that I've had, that I can remember," Hamilton told reporters.

For the Ferrari 'tifosi' it was a major let-down at the spiritual home of the sport's most glamorous and successful team, who last won there in 2010.

"Today was so difficult. Whilst the negativity is never great, that's what powered me along. I actually accept it," Hamilton, booed on the podium by the crowd flooding the main straight with their flares and flags, said.

While Vettel looked to be to blame for his own misfortune, he pointed the finger at Hamilton who had seen his chance and seized it.

"Lewis saw a little bit around the outside but he didn't leave me any space," the German told Sky F1 television of the collision.

"I had no other chance (but) to run into him and make contact."

Others saw it differently.

"Sebastian Vettel cracked under pressure, it has to be said," 1996 world champion Damon Hill commented.

Hamilton's former teammate and 2016 champion Nico Rosberg said it was "100 per cent Sebastian's fault. Lewis left him enough room."

The Briton's sixth win of the season lifted him to 256 points, to his German rival's 226. Mercedes have 415 points to Ferrari's 390 in the constructors' standings.

Raikkonen had looked to be in with a chance of his first win in 108 races but he could not resist on worn tyres and had to be content with his 100th podium in F1.

"I think it (the car) was quick enough but unfortunately our rear tyres went," he said.

Romain Grosjean finished sixth for Haas but was then disqualified after his car was ruled to be in breach of the rules after a Renault protest.

That meant Renault stayed fourth overall and moved the Force India duo of Esteban Ocon and Sergio Perez up to sixth and seventh.

Renault's Carlos Sainz was eighth and Williams' Canadian Lance Stroll and Russian Sergey Sirotkin were ninth and 10th - the latter scoring his first ever point.