Refugee footballer Hakeem al-Araibi has declared his love for Australia after touching down in Melbourne following his detention in Thailand.

The 25-year-old appeared overcome by a throng of media and supporters as he emerged from the international arrival hall on Tuesday.

“I will be more strong for this country,” al-Araibi said in broken English.

“I will be strong here, just for Australia. And Australia, this is my country.

“I don’t have citizenship yet, but my country is Australia. I will die in Australia and I love Australia. Thank you very much.”

The soccer player thanked the Australian government, media and his supporters for their support, before being ushered through the crowd to meet with his wife whom he hasn’t seen for some three months.

Al-Araibi has maintained his fitness while in custody, ex-Socceroos captain Craig Foster told media at the airport.

“He said ’I am in good condition’ and he wants to go and play.

“He said ’I feel strong Craig, I feel strong. I have been training in prison’.

“That’s how much he loves the game.”

Al-Araibi was freed by Thai authorities on Monday afternoon after his birth country of Bahrain requested the case be dropped after it had sought his extradition.

Al-Araibi was wanted by Bahrain after fleeing the country when he was charged with vandalising a police station in 2012. He was sentenced to 10 years in jail in absentia.

The Thai Foreign Ministry later declined to give details of why Bahrain asked for the case to be dropped. However, Bahrain state media reported on Sunday that Prime Minister Khalifa bin Salman al-Khalifa had spoken on the phone with Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.

But after al-Araibi’s release, Bahrain’s Foreign Ministry said the 10-year jail sentence remained in place and reaffirmed the country’s right to “pursue all necessary legal actions against him”.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison thanked Thailand for releasing al-Araibi after intense lobbying from the Australian government, global human rights groups, sporting bodies and the public.

“We know all Australians will deeply appreciate the decision, allowing him to return to his wife, family and friends,” Mr Morrison said in a joint statement.

“The outpouring of support - from the Pascoe Vale Football Club, to the advocacy of Craig Foster and the Football Federation of Australia and so many others - is a testament to how deeply Mr al-Araibi’s situation touched Australians.”

Al-Araibi was detained at Bangkok airport on November 27 when he arrived with his wife for their honeymoon.

The arrest was made after Bahrain issued an Interpol Red Notice for his detention on November 7.

Al-Araibi fled Bahrain in 2014, was granted refugee status by Australia and plays soccer for semi-professional Melbourne club Pascoe Vale.

His wife earlier issued a statement.

“My heart is now full with gratitude. Just so thankful that these tears are falling out of relief and joy.”