Socceroos boss Graham Arnold has scarcely had a moment's rest since last month's training camp in Turkey, touring the United Kingdom and Europe to catch up with his internationals in their club environments.

He's been looking for new faces and he's found one in Hibernian's Martin Boyle, who he named in the Australian squad this week.

Arnold's been after feedback from club coaches and has received glowing reports from Scotland and the Netherlands.

He's been looking for a new skipper after Mile Jedinak's decision to retire from the job last week.

Jedinak called time on his tenure as Australia captain, a run that included an Asian Cup triumph and two World Cup campaigns.

It's made leadership a top-line issue for Arnold as he considers his team for January's continental defence.

"The Australian captaincy is a huge honour and it's really important for the game and to be a role model for Australia," he said, announcing his intention to rotate the armband in coming friendlies.

"I'm going to take my time and make sure we pick the right one."

Arnold agreed Trent Sainsbury and Mat Ryan were two outstanding candidates but there were others worth considering.

"You could say those two. You could say Mark Milligan and you can say Mathew Leckie ... and there's Robbie Kruse, too."

Uncapped trio Thomas Deng, Denis Genreau and Awer Mabil have been brought into camp for a friendly clash with Kuwait on Monday, Oct. 15.

He's also received a glowing report on Daniel Arzani's progress at Celtic, where he moved after impressing as the youngest player at the World Cup.

Genreau's selection came after watching the young PEC Zwolle midfielder in action in Holland.

In all, he's checked in on more than a dozen players personally as he prepares for the first friendly of his second reign as Socceroos coach.

With three months to the day before Australia kicks off its Asian Cup defence against Jordan in the desert city of Al Ain, you can understand why he's so hands on.

"I've done a lot of travel. I went to Scotland for five days ... I went down to England. I did 1600 miles in seven days travelling around seeing the boys at their clubs," he said.

"It was a matter of coming up with a squad with some freshness. A lot of new faces. A lot of kids."