SOUTH Africa great Graeme Smith has pinned the struggles today’s batsmen have away from home on a lack of patience and nous.

Much has been made of the trouble India’s batsmen have had in England over the past month – though victory in the third Test suggests they are coming to terms with conditions – but Virat Kohli’s men are not alone when it comes to being undone by foreign conditions.

Among current players (minimum 1000 Test runs away) only 14 average more than 40 away from home and only Steve Smith (50.96) and Darren Bravo (50.39) – who hasn’t played a Test in two years – average in excess of 50 on the road.

It’s a something Smith, whose Test average of 54.98 away from home is the fifth best in the past 50 years (minimum 1000 runs away), believes is down to the impatience of modern batsmen.

“You have to have a brain. Sometimes you realise that, ‘OK, the wicket is doing a lot, the ball is swinging, I’ve got to fight and fight hard to get through it,’” he told Cricbuzz.
“So it’s about figuring out and understanding what you’re up against and putting your technique and mindset into the situation.”

The former South Africa captain pointed to the success Kohli has enjoyed this series as proof there was reward to be had for those willing to wait for their moment. The 29-year-old has scored two centuries and two half-centuries this series (one finishing on 97) this series, and in each of those innings has had to push through testing periods against Anderson.

“I just think modern-day batters don’t have the patience any more. They’re not prepared to work through periods.

“Look at Virat Kohli’s hundred in the Edgbaston game. How long was he under the pump for? He fought and he fought and he fought, and then suddenly it breaks; you get the opportunity to play and the game opens up

“I just think that little bit has gone out of the modern-day game, certainly in the Test match format.

“You have to have a brain. Sometimes you realise that, ‘OK, the wicket is doing a lot, the ball is swinging, I’ve got to fight and fight hard to get through it’.

“So it’s about figuring out and understanding what you’re up against and putting your technique and mindset into the situation.”