David Goffin pulled off a superb comeback from match point to beat Marcel Granollers 4-6 7-6 6-2 and reach the third round of the Barcelona Open.

Granollers won the first set but fourth-seeded Belgian Goffin found his best tennis towards the end of the second, coming back from 5-1 down and the verge of elimination to force the match into a third, after a tie-break.

Goffin outclassed Granollers comprehensively in the third set, leaving the Catalan frustrated with his inability to secure victory.

"When you are so close and can't kill off the game, it's really hard," said Granollers, ranked 129 in the world. "Today it was tough to lose, there are not a lot of positive things in my head right now."

Feliciano Lopez, meanwhile, has stayed on course to face Novak Djokovic in the last 16.

The Spaniard, participating for a record 18th time, saw off Serbian Dusan Lajovic 6-4 2-6 6-4 to reach the third round to set up a potential clash with sixth-seeded Djokovic, who faces Martin Klizan on Wednesday.

"I hadn't planned on coming here, but last Thursday when I finished in Monte Carlo, we decided we wanted an invite," said Djokovic, who was eliminated in the last 16 in the Principality.

"I haven't played much this year and I want to play without thinking about my shoulder."

Tunisia's Malek Jaziri beat American Ernesto Escobedo 6-4 6-3, Adrian Mannarino saw off Cuevas 6-4, 7-6, and Roberto Bautista came from behind to eliminate veteran Croatian Ivo Karlovic 6-7 6-2 6-4 to reach the third round.

Earlier, Roberto Carballes Baena beat Austrian Andreas Haider-Maurer 6-2 6-4 to set up a second round clash with Spanish compatriot and tournament favourite Rafael Nadal.

But the 25-year-old found it hard to see out the contest after winning the first set at a canter, taking it to match point five times before finally triumphing on 'Pista Rafa Nadal', the court named in honour of the World No 1, whom he faces Wednesday.

This was only his second victory in five appearances at the Barcelona open, the former coming against Jan-Lennard Struff in 2015.

Nadal had a bye for the first round and comes in to the tournament looking to win it for the 11th time, fresh from having triumphed in Monte Carlo on Sunday.