JAMES Cummings believes conditions are ideal for veteran Hartnell to add another feature race to his resume when he has first start at The Valley outside of a Cox Plate.

Hartnell will run in the Dato Tan Chin Nam Stakes (1600m) at The Valley on Saturday, which will be only his third start at the track.

His other runs at The Valley have been a second in the 2016 Cox Plate and a fifth in the 2015 Cox Plate behind Winx.

The eight-year-old gelding resumed with a first-up second in the Lawrence Stakes when he drifted from $6.50 to $9.50 after looking big in the mounting yard.

“He enjoys his races spaced and should give himself every chance at weight-for-age around the Valley,” Cummings said.

“He’s as bright as a button and capable of running well again.”

His jockey Craig Williams said Hartnell was suited by the StrathAyr surface at The Valley.

“I’m really looking forward to Saturday. He loves that surface and I like him having gaps between runs,” Williams said.

Melbourne assistant trainer Kate Grimwade said Hartnell’s track rider Craig Robertson couldn’t be happier with his work.

“There’s no reason why he can’t produce his solid characteristic run,” she said.

Hartnell is a $4.40 second favourite behind Darren Weir’s promising galloper Night’s Watch at $3.30 with TAB fixed odds.

Godolphin will also be represented by boom sprinter $3.80 favourite Osborne Bulls in the Bendigo Banks States (1200m).

Cummings said the biggest challenge Osborne Bulls would face would be working his way into the clear after drawing barrier one.

“The horse took some time to balance up in a reconnaissance mission at Moonee Valley on Tuesday morning, but was nice to the line.”

“All things being equal I expect him to perform strongly again.”