ALL-ROUNDER Glenn Maxwell is hoping his omission from the Australia A squad to tour India next month is a vote of confidence from selectors, rather than a red-ball snub.

Maxwell was left out of both four-day and one-day squads when they were named in May, which raised questions over whether he will feature in Justin Langer’s future Test plans.

The Victorian on Tuesday was upbeat over the omission, saying he believed selectors had seen him play enough times on the subcontinent and he didn’t need to audition during the tour.

Maxwell is now confident he will be part of the Australia squad who will travel to Dubai in October to face Pakistan; a tour which he said he is “desperate” to be a part of.

“I’ve been to India 16 or 17 times now so it’s not a place where they (selectors) need to see me play. They’ve seen me play over there enough,” Maxwell toldSEN’s Whateley.

“Obviously [I’ve] had a bit of success over there in the Test series in India last year, so it’s not something that’s hugely foreign to me. Hopefully that holds me in good stead when it comes time for selection for the Dubai trip.”

The 29-year-old played two of Australia’s four Tests in India last year, making 159 runs at 39.75, including a century in the drawn third match.

But he’s failed to make the most of his other Test opportunities, falling short of 50 in all 13 of his other innings, which date back to March 2013.

Maxwell said he “hasn’t been given any indication” that he will be included in the squad to tour the UAE, but insisted discussions with selectors surrounding his Australia A omission had been positive.

“There has been a lot of positive reinforcement that I didn’t need to go on that Aussie A tour,” he said. “I felt confident walking away that they’ve given me an opportunity to prepare for that Test tour [against Pakistan], whether or not I’m picked on it, that’s another outcome.”

Maxwell is currently enjoying a two-week break from cricket, before entering six weeks of training for subcontinental conditions.

He said he is thankful for the break to “mentally refresh”, before building his case for Test selection in the build-up to the 2019 Ashes series in England.

“This is going to be a big summer potentially for myself to hopefully solidify myself in all three formats. So I think to have this break before what could potentially be a really big year for me, I think is really pivotal,” Maxwell said.

“It gives me a great opportunity to work on my game, get myself up to a level of player that I think I can reach by the end of this season, and hopefully be on that Ashes trip after the World Cup next year.”

Australia A one-day squad: Travis Head (capt), Alex Carey (vc), Ashton Agar, Peter Handscomb, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Matthew Renshaw, Jhye Richardson, D’Arcy Short, Billy Stanlake, Mitch Swepson, Chris Tremain, Jack Wildermuth

Australia A four-day squad: Mitch Marsh (capt), Alex Carey (vc), Ashton Agar, Brendan Doggett, Peter Handscomb, Travis Head, Jon Holland, Usman Khawaja, Michael Neser, Joel Paris, Kurtis Patterson, Matthew Renshaw, Mitch Swepson, Chris Tremain

TOUR OF INDIA SCHEDULE

August 17 v India A one-dayer, Vijayawada

August 19 v South Africa A one-dayer, Vijayawada

August 23 v India A one-dayer, Vijayawada

August 25 v South Africa A one-dayer, Vijayawada

August 29 – Tri-Series Final, Vijayawada

September 2-5 v India A four-day, Vizag

September 8-11 v India A four-day, Vizag