Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud has won FIFA's Puskas Award for the best goal of 2016-17.

Giroud took home the prize for his stunning scorpion kick at the end of a superb team move against Crystal Palace at the Emirates Stadium on January 1.

The Frenchman's remarkable goal saw him meet Alexis Sanchez's cross with an audacious volley that looped over Palace goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey and went in via the crossbar.

It was one of 16 goals in all competitions Giroud scored for the Gunners last term.

Speaking at the The Best FIFA Football Awards ceremony at London Palladium, the 31-year-old dedicated the prize to his father.

"It's an honour for me and I'm delighted to receive this trophy today," he said.

"I would like to thank the people who voted for me. I would like to congratulate the three [finalists], who scored amazing goals too.

"Obviously, I would like to thank my team-mates – without them I could not score this goal – and my family.

"I also would like to dedicate this trophy to my Dad."

THE PUSKAS AWARD NOMINEES IN FULL

Giroud saw off competition from Venezuela women's international Deyna Castellanos and Baroka goalkeeper Oscarine Masuluke to win the award.

Castellanos scored a 94th-minute winner from the halfway line against Cameroon at the Under-17 Women's World Cup last year immediately after her team had conceded what seemed to be a last-minute equaliser.

Masuluke, meanwhile, went up for a corner and netted a stunning last-gasp leveller for Baroka against the Orlando Pirates in the South African Premiership last November.

A 10-goal shortlist was initially unveiled in September before fan voting narrowed it down to the final three.

A panel of experts, which included the likes of Henrik Larsson, Alan Shearer and Predrag Mijatovic, sifted through thousands of entries to pick 10 candidates worthy of taking the crown from 2016 winner Mohd Faiz Subri.

The initial nominees were: