Augsburg midfielder Rani Khedira has rejected an opportunity to play for Tunisia in the 2018 Fifa World Cup.

The 24-year-old, born in Stuttgart to a German mother and Tunisian father, confirmed the approach from the Tunisian Football Federation but has opted to follow the footsteps of his elder brother, Sami Khedira who has been a key player in the German national team since 2010.

#Khedira opens with a statement: "Last night I let the Tunisian FA know that I would turn down their offer of representing them in the #WorldCup. I'm proud that they considered me, but I was born in Germany and only speak German. That was the deciding factor." #RBLFCA pic.twitter.com/HZaMzbwkmv
— FC Augsburg English (@FCA_World) February 7, 2018
The former RB Leipzig and Stuttgart player who has represented Germany at all youth levels cited communication barrier and fair play for young players as reasons to back his decision.

“I was honoured to be approached by them [Tunisia FA],” Khedira told the club website.

“But I was born and raised in Germany and can only speak German. As my play style hinges very much on communication, I wouldn’t have been able to have given the team the best of my ability,

"I don't think it's fair I take the place of players who have worked their socks off for the last two years to reach the World Cup, either.”
The Carthage Eagles return to the World Cup for the first time since Germany 2006 and have paired with England, Belgium and Panama in Group G