WHILE German jockey Martin Seidl loves the local racing scene after more than a month in Victoria, he still can’t quite get his head around some of our tracks.

“I’m used to racing on much bigger tracks,” Seidl said. “There are so many small tight tracks here. That’s the difference between here and Europe but there’s also a big lovely track like Flemington.”

On Saturday Seidl is hoping to ride his first winner at Australia’s most famous track at Flemington, where he’s got the best opportunities he’s had since being here.

He has linked with Robbie Griffiths for his Australian sojourn and the in-form trainer has shown his faith by handing him three last-start winners.

He will ride Robe De Fete, who gave him his first Melbourne winner at Sandown Hillside, and Angel Lass, who he won on at Bairnsdale.

Seidl is most excited about getting the opportunity to ride Mr Money Bags in the Listed Chester Manifold Stakes (1400m).

Mr Money Bags was heading to the Gold Coast to contest the Magic Millions Cup but that was abandoned when connections couldn’t secure a flight.

Seidl, 25, is the No.2 rider for top German trainer Markus Klug behind leading jockey Adrie de Vries and is based at Cologne. He has ridden Group winners and has been Group 1 placed in races and he’s hoping his stint here can take him to the next level.

“That’s why I’ve come here,” he said. “Wherever you go throughout the world, whether it be Hong Kong, Singapore, the best jockeys come from Australia.

“I’ve been to South Africa and France but I wanted to come here so I’m hoping I can improve by riding against such top jockeys here,”

Seidl will stay in Victoria while German racing has its jumps season and will return home in mid March.