GOLD Coast-bred gymnasts Georgia Godwin and Georgia-Rose Brown have been selected to spearhead the women’s team with pivotal roles in their hometown Commonwealth Games.

Godwin and Brown have sealed the key All-Around spots for the women’s team final on Friday, April 6, with national coach Mihai Brestyan confirming that Australia’s medal bid will be built around the comeback stars.

American-based Brestyan, who coached American 2012 and 2016 Olympic gold medallist Aly Raisman, said world title success story Godwin and Brown had the gumption, positive attitude and mental aptitude to lead Australia.

Godwin, 19, and Brown, 23, not only share a first name but also a steely determination which has helped them overcome many obstacles, including injury setbacks, which has helped their return from the backblocks of the Australian program.

“I respect them because they have showed the spirit we will need at the Commonwealth Games,’’ Brestyan said. “The team we chose is the best combination to support our medal chances.

“If the girls do their job in the team final they will have a good spot on the podium.

“I wanted to give Georgia Godwin a chance because she has been pushed to the side in the past. She made the most of her chances even before she got the results (at last year’s world championships).

“Georgia-Rose Brown is also on her way up and she has been getting stronger in the last couple of national camps.’’

Queenslander Rianna Mizzen and Victorian duo Emily Whitehead and Alexandra Eade, who won gold in floor at the Melbourne World Cup in February, round out the Australian team.

Brestyan said Godwin, who finished 13th at last year’s world championship final in Canada as the second-ranked Commonwealth athlete, was a medal chance in the All-Around event and was competitive on all four apparatus as long as she executed her routines. Brown’s best chance for a medal was on uneven bars.

“If Godwin hits her routines she could make the final in every event,’’ he said. “I’m asking for a quality execution and Georgia (Godwin) was the first person to get what I was asking for. What she achieved at the world championships, she has the same potential at the Commonwealth Games.

“She’s very efficient in practise, she doesn’t waste time and she tries her best every single time. Georgia is on her way up.’’

Godwin, of Manly West, added: “I’m not looking too far ahead, I just want to be as consistent as I can. Making the team is one of my major dreams since I was a little girl on The Gold Coast.’’

Both Godwin and Brown have contemplated retirement in the past two years but were driven to remain in the sport because they didn’t want to miss out on “their chance of a life-time” to compete at home.

Southport-based Brown, who has recently moved back to live on The Gold Coast and to train at the Queensland high performance base at Chandler after seven years in Melbourne, was a member of the Australian team which won silver at the 2014 Games in Glasgow.

“These are my second Games and I’m looking to better my performance before a home crowd,’’ Brown said. ““Throughout every gymnastic career there are times you have to dig deep for determination.

“I persevered through all my injuries because my love and desire for the sport wouldn’t let me stop. Now I’ve made the team I couldn’t be more excited,’’ she said.

Until Brown’s bronze medal performance in uneven bars at the World Cup in Melbourne in February, the team’s oldest and tallest gymnast had not competed since the national titles in May last year because of “numerous niggling injuries’’.

“It almost got to a point towards the end of the year where I couldn’t see the point of continuing but then I realised how much I wanted to compete at my home Games in front of all my family and friends,’’ said Brown, who started at Southport Gymnastics when she was six years old. “I will be competing almost around the corner from my family home.

Both Godwin, the 2014 and 2015 National All Around Champion, and Brown showed the ultimate commitment from a young age when they sacrificed family life for a move to Brisbane from The Gold Coast to gain the necessary Olympic-level coaching.

When Godwin was nine the budding gymnast and her mother Mari moved to Brisbane and lived away from the family home, only returning to The Gold Coast on weekends.

“For four years my mum and I lived apart from my father and brother Dylan but everyone understood,’’ said Georgia, who is happy the family is back living together again. “They gave me every opportunity and I wouldn’t be here without them so I’m very thankful.’’

Brown, who moved to live with her Brisbane-based grandma when she was 12 years old, and Godwin briefly trained together at the same Moreton Bay College gym centre at Manly, Brisbane.