FORMER Port Adelaide assistant coach Matthew Nicks has joined GWS as the club's senior assistant coach.

In a move which was flagged by AFL.com.au at the start of August, Nicks will start at the Giants on November 1.

The 43-year-old has spent the past eight years at the Power, the last two as Ken Hinkley's senior assistant coach.

"I'm really looking forward to joining the Giants who have an exciting group of players and coaches," Nicks said.

"The club has a number of terrific people involved across the organisation and I see the Giants as being in a good position to be able to continue to push for success in the coming years.

"I'd like to thank the Port Adelaide Football Club for the opportunities they've given me and the experience I've gained working under Ken Hinkley."

GWS general manager of football Wayne Campbell said Nicks would be a welcome addition in the newly created senior assistant role.

"We've been looking to expand our coaching group and with the wide range of skills and knowledge Matthew brings from his time at Port Adelaide, he's the ideal candidate," Campbell said.

"We've got a really skilled and hardworking coaching group and Matthew's appointment will complement them and support their continued development, while also working closely alongside Leon Cameron."

Nicks played 175 games for Sydney, from 1996 to 2005, and was one of the first to earn a level four coaching accreditation. He has spoken previously about his aim to eventually become a senior coach.