FORMER Melbourne Rebels lock Luke Jones will return to the club in 2019 as they continue to push for a maiden Super Rugby finals berth.

Jones, now 27, was a foundation member of the Rebels and racked up 72 games before heading to France for a two-year stint at Bordeaux.

But he’s decided to head back to Melbourne to be part of a team which could feature a star playmaking combo of Will Genia and Quade Cooper next season.

“Having observed the transformation of the Club over the last year, it’s obvious the Rebels have taken massive steps forward on and off the field and I want to be a part of that,” Jones said.

“Speaking with (Rebels coach) David Wessels and a few of my former teammates and looking at the quality of the list at the Rebels, it’s going to be a great challenge for me.

“I wanted to return to Australia and the fact that I get to return to Melbourne just makes it that much more satisfying.”

The Rebels have already signed new Wallaby Richard Hardwick and will look to complete a deal which brings Cooper to the club from Queensland to join scrum-half Genia.