GOLD Coast is poised to unveil former Fremantle defender Sam Collins as its third mature-age access selection.

Collins, 24, will joined by Werribee VFL teammate Josh Corbett and SANFL star Chris Burgess on the Suns' list as part of the AFL Commission's assistance package.

His signing is expected to be formalised in the coming days.

With uncertainty around the future of Suns captain Steven May, Collins will provide an added boost to Stuart Dew's defence.

Delisted by the Dockers at the end of 2017 after 14 games, Collins headed to the VFL, starring with his intercept marking in defence before finishing third in the JJ Liston Trophy.

Collins had been monitored by the Suns for much of the season and Dew was among the Gold Coast contingent spotted at Werribee matches.

When asked about his role at an AFL club, Collins said he would provide a key defensive option.

"I like to try and roll off (my opponent) and mark the ball," the 194cm defender told NAB AFL Trade Radio.

"The obvious one is Jeremy McGovern, he does it so well from the Eagles.

"That's probably the player I am, not too flashy but just a competitor who likes to mark the ball."

Collins' signing will be the fifth and final mature-age access player taken in this NAB AFL Trade Period, with Carlton nominating Nathan Kreuger and Shane McAdam before they were on-traded to Geelong and Adelaide, respectively.

The Suns' list management team has plenty to work through before Wednesday, including trades for Kade Kolodjashnij (Melbourne) and Jack Scrimshaw (Hawthorn), plus the arrival of George Horlin-Smith from Geelong.