FORMER Melbourne and Fremantle player Colin Sylvia has died in a car accident.

Sylvia, 32, was involved in a two-vehicle collision near Mildura on Sunday afternoon.

Former Melbourne captain Garry Lyon described it as a "tragedy" on Melbourne radio station SEN on Monday morning.

Melbourne CEO Gary Pert passed on his condolences to the Sylvia family, teammates and colleagues.

"On behalf of the Melbourne Football Club, I would like to express my deepest compassion to the Sylvia family," Pert told Melbourne Media.

"Our thoughts are with those closest to Colin, his teammates and the extended Melbourne faithful at this very difficult time.

"Colin was not only a great footballer but also a great character, who built many meaningful relationships across the entire club."

Sylvia was taken at No.3 in the 2003 NAB AFL Draft and played 163 games.

In 10 years with the Demons he played 157 games, kicking 129 goals, before joining Fremantle at the end of 2013 as a free agent.

Sylvia added six games with the Dockers before retiring early in the 2015 season.

Fremantle president Dale Alcock said the club was saddened to learn about the passing of Sylvia.

"On behalf of the players, coaches, staff and board of the Fremantle Football Club, we extend our deepest sympathy to Colin’s family and friends," he said.

Detectives from the Major Collision Investigation Unit are investigating the cause of the accident.

The driver of the second vehicle was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Former teammate Brent Moloney posted an emotional tribute on Instagram.

"I still can’t believe it," Moloney wrote.

"Words can’t describe how I’m feeling!!! We were always side by side no matter where we were.

"My thoughts go out to his beautiful family, I’m gonna miss you brother x Gone to soon R.I.P Col xx."