Limited-overs skipper Aaron Finch is not alarmed by his lean run with the bat and is confident time in the middle against the red ball is all he needs to return to form ahead of the first Domain Test against India in less than a fortnight.

Finch performed strongly in his Test debut in the UAE in October but since that series he has averaged 9.6 in 10 innings against the white ball, with his most recent knock a golden duck in Friday's washed out T20 international at the MCG.

But the 32-year-old, who is set to open for Australia in the first Test of the summer in Adelaide from December 6, says his poor limited-overs form has not got him worried leading into the Test series.

"At the end of the day I'm still practicing well, still hitting them well, still feel good," Finch said today in Sydney.

"I've been in this position before and it's not alarming, it's more just trying to get through that initial five-10 balls and reassess.

"I've still been working very hard on my technique and doing a lot of work with (Australia batting coach) Graeme Hick and trying to adjust a couple of little things.

"It's not ideal, don't get me wrong, but at the end of the day it's the opposite format. I'm sure once I get to Brisbane for the Shield game I'll be able to get stuck into the red-ball stuff a bit more."

Finch will have one hit-out before the first Test, a JLT Sheffield Shield match for Victoria against Queensland at the Gabba next week.

Test captain Tim Paine has indicated he expects Finch to open for his country at the Adelaide Oval, but the right-hander is likely to bat in the middle order for his state.

"We've probably shown our hand to some degree over the past few years where we've batted Aaron Finch and we think he's best suited in that middle order for Victoria," Victoria coach Andrew McDonald said on SEN on Wednesday.

While that decision might seem counterproductive to preparing Finch for the rigours of opening the batting in Test cricket, and possibly partnering with potential Test debutant Marcus Harris, Finch understands if Victoria decide to bat him down the order to maintain a proven formula at the top.

"Victoria's had a very settled opening combination in Marcus Harris and Travis Dean for three or four years now and they've played really well together," he said.

"I think it's important we respect that. I don't think I'll open in that game.

"They've both been playing nicely. I'm sure in the next couple of days I'll chat to Andrew (McDonald) and Pete (Handscomb) and get a bit clearer position.

"It's more about time in the middle regardless where you're batting.

"Runs in any position count a lot more than if you miss out opening the batting. It's just time in the middle to be honest."

Finch hosed down any suggestion of a conflict between the needs of the national team versus the state side when it comes to selection at domestic level.

"I've played in the middle order for Victoria for most of my career so I don't see it as being too confusing or conflicting at all," he said.

"JL's (national coach Justin Langer) theory is that's it's up to the states to align their teams with how they best see them winning a game.

"We (Victoria) have had a very settled opening combination, Harris and Dean, for a couple of years now and won three out of the last four Shields. Tough to argue with that."

Finch heads into tomorrow's game with a chance to put a significant score on the board and seal the Gillette T20I Series against India.

Australia opted not to practice today, which might work in Finch's favour.

"I've been batting more and more in the nets," he said. "I need to go the other way and go back to my old preparation which is have one big hit before a series and then ease into it and not hell of a lot once it gets underway.

"When you're searching for a bit of form or you feel like there's something just missing in your game, you tend to hit a lot more balls and search for an answer.

"The answer is pretty simple. Just hit the ball in the middle a few more times.

"And in this format you're one shot away from everything just clicking back into gear."