Real Madrid president Florentino Perez says he is "sure" that Sir Alex Ferguson approached Carlo Ancelotti to be his successor at Manchester United - despite the Italian denying the report earlier this week.

Perez told Radio Cadena Cope that Ferguson contacted Ancelotti and was turned down, before announcing David Moyes as his alleged first-choice replacement.

"I'm absolutely sure," Perez said.

"Not this year, but last year. Ferguson asked him to succeed him."

In an interview with the Daily Mail earlier this week, Real Madrid manager Ancelotti rejected suggestions that he was offered the job at Old Trafford.

"No, no, not true," he said. "When I decided to leave Paris Saint-Germain I had the opportunity to come here (Madrid). I didn't want to stay at PSG."

Former Chelsea boss Ancelotti led Real to their tenth European Cup and the Copa del Rey in his first season in charge at the Bernabeu.

Moyes was sacked just 10 months into his six-year contract at Old Trafford after failing to secure Champions League qualification for the first time in 24 years.

Holland coach Louis van Gaal will take over at Manchester United following the World Cup.