After doing nothing for a week, Aaron Finch is kicking himself for not doing nothing sooner.

The discarded Test opener top scored with 42 on Monday night as Melbourne Renegades scored an upset KFC Big Bash win over Hobart Hurricanes.

It was a brief cameo for the Renegades captain, in between his fourth Test omission and captaining the Australian one-day team in a three-game Gillette ODI series against India, which begins next week.

Finch revealed he barely touched a bat between the Boxing Day Test and the BBL match.

After leaving the national squad in Sydney, he returned to Melbourne and briefly lived like a normal person. He now wishes he had put down his bat earlier.

"It was my choice to keep hitting balls and you're searching for form, you're searching for something," Finch said.

"You don't want to walk off after getting out in a Test ... and think 'geez, if only I'd hit some more balls'.

"That was a really hard thing to bring myself to do – to not bat.

"I know I've had success not batting a huge amount ... I just didn't have the courage to stick to it."

Finch said the feedback from team management had been exactly that – take a break.

He added he was yet to receive any word from selectors about the Test tour of Sri Lanka, with the squad to be named this week, while he was pragmatic about his Test axing.

"I said this before, when I was dropped from the one-day team after a really lean run – at times you'd like to have some bullets to fire back, but there are just none," he said.

"It would have been a pretty easy call, to be fair."

Finch's dumping followed a hectic schedule where he played in the IPL, then in England, followed by the two Tests against Pakistan in the UAE, before the home India series.

"There was a period there I was home for 12 days in eight months, which makes it really difficult," he said.

"It's not ideal to be dropped, obviously ... but it (the break) was really nice."

After the home one-dayers, Australia have away series against India and Pakistan ahead of the World Cup.

Australia have made some big changes for the three-match series against India, including dropping Chris Lynn and D'Arcy Short.

"It's just an opportunity, where teams are bowling 20-25 overs of spin at us," Finch said.

"That's the recent trend, so it's probably just a different makeup of the side to help navigate through the middle orders.

"It's definitely not the end, by any stretch, for Lynny and D'Arcy."