Fernando Alonso has predicted that McLaren-Honda will make their "first huge step" forward with the MP4-30 when the season recommences at Barcelona next month.

For the first time in the team’s illustrious history, McLaren have failed to pick up a point in the opening four rounds of a season but they remain convinced that their reunion with Honda will provide greater longer-term gains as they aim to eventually return to championship-winning ways.

Indeed Alonso, who after missing the Australian season-opener has now experienced three scoreless races on the spin for the first time this decade, insists there is no panic at the team and that the start of the European season will prove far more fruitful as the team ready a number of significant upgrades.

“We are all united. We are all grown up and committed to this project,” Alonso told F1’s official website.

“Nobody is panicking in this tough moment - and panicking can be very easy in such a tough situation. I predict that in Barcelona we will see the first huge step and also the power effect is low in Monaco so we should also have a good race there.

“My prediction is that the next three races will be very interesting for us.”

The Spaniard finished just one place and four seconds outside of the points positions at the last round in Bahrain, McLaren’s best result so far, and is convinced the steady but linear progress McLaren have made since their wretched winter will continue.

“The steps that we've made since Melbourne all point in the right direction. We will be working flat out to increase the performance for Barcelona – and the odds indicate that we should,” Alonso added.

“I am optimistic – even if I am aware of the fact that still a lot needs to be done.”

The encouragement McLaren took from their latest progress with the MP4-30 was tempered by the unreliability that dogged Jenson Button’s car throughout the Bahrain GP. After three separate mechanical breakdowns in practice and qualifying, the Briton couldn’t even take the start of the race due to lingering electrical problems.

Team-mate Alonso is aware McLaren cannot afford to let those kind of issues reoccur.

“Of course it was a bit sad that we've raced only with one car so it was extra important to finish the race,” the Spaniard said. “Now let's see what we can do in the next three weeks. Especially the reliability issues have to be addressed, as we have seen this weekend.”