Fawad Ahmed spent four years at Sydney Thunder and won the title with them in 2016 © Getty

Fawad Ahmed on Thursday (June 20) signed a two-year deal with Big Bash League franchise Perth Scorchers, making it his third team in the history of the T20 competition, with the hope to force his way into Australia's 2020 T20 World Cup plans.

"I'm still hoping to play in next year's World Cup in Australia," Fawad was quoted as saying by cricket.com.au. "I'm not giving up. That's how things work in this world; you live on hope and there's always hope. I'm a day dreamer. I'd love it to happen, but if it doesn't, that's not a problem."

Fawad, 37, spent four years at Sydney Thunder and won the title with them in 2016. Even though he has played only five limited-over internationals for Australia - the last of which was five years ago - the lure of a home World Cup, and an event Australia had never won before, was too strong to resist.

Fawad had earlier in the year retired from first-class cricket in the hope to force his way into Australia's squad for the ongoing 50-over World Cup, only to be left behind in the race by spin rivals Adam Zampa and Nathan Lyon. Despite his 50-overs dreams being halted, he has turned his focus and energies towards the October 2020 mega event.

"This is just how I am," he says. "This is always in my mind; to hope for something and set goals. That carries me on. If something comes up to represent my country, especially in Australia, that'd be really nice. But I'm just enjoying myself, there's no pressure of selection.

"I thought there might be a chance (of playing in the World Cup this year), but Adam Zampa and Lyono bowled really well. Not everything happens the way you want. That's how things work in this world."

Fawad revealed that having some confidence-boosting conversations recently with national selector Trevor Hohns and coach Justin Langer has strengthened his desire to feature in the Australia colours once again. In a nine-month period starting next month the leg-spinner will be taking part in four global T20 leagues.

He will return to the Global T20 Canada league next month before joining St. Lucia Stars in the Caribbean Premier League. The leading wicket-taker in Trinbago's title-winning run last season, Fawad is making a switch in CPL as well.

After playing for the Scorchers in the summer, he will next return to the Pakistan Super League for the 2019-20 season. He's also keeping an eye out for stints in the South African, Afghan and T10 leagues, hoping all this game-time will have him in shape for the national return should those conversations materialise.

"They said they'll never say no, there's always a chance if you perform well. It's better to be ready rather than having to get ready."