JUMPS racing is under renewed fire after a fatal fall in the Mosstrooper Steeplechase at Bendigo.

Something To Share, a 10-year-old gelding, was euthanised after coming to grief at the second last obstacle.

King Kamada, stablemate of the winner Wells, was brought to ground by the stricken Something To Share in a horrific finish to the feature event.

The pair was among seven horses to fall at Bendigo on a program featuring six jumps races.

Something To Share’s death capped a terrible day for Stawell trainer Dane Smith, whose stable favourite Mujadale was floated from the course after suffering a tendon injury while making his steeplechase debut.

Braidon Small, who rode Something To Share, was examined by doctors and was stood down from riding.

King Kamada’s jockey Lee Horner was heavily concussed.

The first two races on the card were marred by five falls.

The five casualties — Valhalla Princess, Steel Caps, Sir Ritchie, Diamond Geyser and Beyond Thankful — all escaped serious injury.

But jockey Ross O’Sullivan suffered a suspected right collarbone fracture after falling from Diamond Geyser.

The spate of falls prompted claims Racing Victoria had jeopardised horse safety because of track conditions.

Trainer Bryce Stanaway said the track was too firm, claiming he had approached steward Rob Montgomerie two weeks ago to have the meeting shifted.

He said RV was accountable for the casualties.

“I actually put the full blame today of any horse that falls on RVL,” he said.

“They’re slipping on top of hard ground. It’s not the horses’ fault.

“We’ve got good horsemen here today, there’s good jockeys, very good trainers and good horses and this shouldn’t be happening.

“RVL, I told them two weeks ago that this meeting shouldn’t be held here.

“I spoke to Rob Montgomerie two weeks ago after a late scratching of a horse here because I reckon the track was too firm and said to him ‘This track will be unsuitable for jumpers’ and asked if they could shift the meeting somewhere else if they didn’t get rain.

“They’re more interested in just holding the meeting here.”

Steward James Hitchcock said the track conditions met the safety criteria for jumps racing.

Chasing superstars Wells and Sea King quinellaed the $100,000 Mosstrooper ahead of a return bout in next month’s Grand National Steeplechase at Ballarat.

John Allen and Darren Weir combined to land the $100,000 Brendan Drechsler Hurdle (3600m) with Bit Of A Lad. The pair also featured in Killarney Kid’s hurdle maiden victory.