Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas has said he was offended by Spanish international teammate Sergio Ramos questioning his commitment to La Roja after pulling out of games against Belarus and Germany earlier this month through injury.

Fabregas was allowed to return to London by Spain's medical team despite scans failing to prove a significant injury just two days after completing the 90 minutes in Chelsea's 2-1 win at Liverpool.

Ramos, who missed Spain's previous two Euro 2016 qualifiers due to a calf injury, then sent a thinly veiled barb at Fabregas and club teammate Diego Costa, who also pulled out of the squad to an ongoing hamstring problem.

"I would like the players to have the same commitment to the national team as to their clubs," said the Real Madrid defender.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho also dismissed Ramos's complaints earlier this week, pointing out that he doesn't have a "masters in medicine."

However, Fabregas was so infuriated by those comments he said he called Ramos to clarify the situation.

"I have played 94 times for Spain and for many years I have always come with a smile from one ear to the other," he told Spanish radio station COPE.

"It annoys me that they doubt my commitment. I have played many matches and came to many squads without playing.

"It is true I felt offended, I have already told Sergio what I thought. We have spoken on the phone and everything is fine.

"I said to him we have played together since the under-21 team and he didn't need to send messages through the press."