Barthez who enjoyed an illustrious career as a player which included notable spells with Marseille, where he won the 1993 Champions League, as well as Monaco and Manchester United, appears close to striking a deal, according to PSG coach Blanc.

Paris: Former France goalkeeper Fabien Barthez is in talks to join his 1998 World Cup winning teammate Laurent Blanc as part of the Paris Saint-Germain coaching staff, the Ligue 1 leaders have revealed.

Barthez who enjoyed an illustrious career as a player which included notable spells with Marseille, where he won the 1993 Champions League, as well as Monaco and Manchester United, appears close to striking a deal, according to PSG coach Blanc.

"We have spoken about it but I think you (the media) are confirming certain things that aren't yet in place," Blanc, who was also a teammate of Barthez at United, told football weekly France Football.

"It's hopefull. It would be the same role that he had with the France team when I arrived and for which I kept him. He was a consultant.

"I think his experience at the highest level can be beneficial to the goalkeepers at PSG," continued Blanc who left the France job following the team's quarter-final exit at Euro 2012 and was replaced by Didier Deschamps.

"Will it happen? I don't know anything. Fabien is interested but there is nothing definite for the moment."

Barthez has also been active away from the football pitch and has recently embarked on a successful career as a race car driver.