Paris Saint-Germain are digesting their first defeat since 2 March after coming unstuck at Évian Thonon Gaillard FC on Wednesday night to end a 36-match unbeaten run.

Laurent Blanc suffered his first loss as Paris coach when his side went down 2-0 in Annecy, 21-year-old Clarck N'Sikulu scoring the first on 75 minutes following good work from Modou Sougou. Former Olympique de Marseille striker Sougou then wrapped up the win with a goal on the counterattack three minutes from time. It was a tense game in icy conditions, with banks of snow around the pitch adding to the wintry feeling for Paris.

"Of course, it's great for our people, our fans and the whole region," said Évian's 51-year-old coach Pascal Dupraz. "The players deserve the credit but I have mixed feelings because we have only got 19 points so far – barely half of Paris's tally. My lads annoy me, they always need to be in trouble to get the best out of themselves. I'd like to see them show the same focus and willingness through all our 38 matches."

"That's fair," acknowledged forward N'Sikulu. "We haven't hit top form in our previous outings. But we wanted to thrill our supporters tonight and we did it. Hopefully we can build on this game."

Dupraz, who went out to thank the Évian crowd after his team retreated to the dressing room, saw just how much happiness his players had brought to the club he helped found and lead to the top division. "Guys, it was cold but you warmed the fans' hearts," he told his charges.