WEST Coast is set to be without a champion key forward this week.

And a North Melbourne veteran is putting his hand up for selection after being rested.

Plus they’ll be multiple changes down at the kennel.

All of this an more in Early Mail!

WEST Coast could be without the two main prongs of its powerful forward line on Thursday night, and potentially also for longer.

Star forward Josh Kennedy is racing the clock to face Essendon due to a sore foot and a corky, while Jack Darling is absent with an ankle complaint.

Kennedy suffered a “big corky” to the leg in last week’s loss to Sydney, heading into the rooms and limping visibly at the end of the game.

He also had off-season surgery on his foot and foxfooty.com.au understands he has been on lighter duties between matches as a result.

“I’ve got to go through a bit of a fitness test tomorrow,” Kennedy told 6PR.

“I’m saving myself until tomorrow to do some running, the boys are training today but I’m going to give myself an extra day just to see how I pull up.

“I couldn’t give you the odds (on playing) but I’m feeling better than what I did on Sunday.

“Each day is getting better and I’m able to move a fair bit more, hopefully I’ll do some alter-g (anti-gravity treadmill) and stuff today but also get up on deck and have a kick and run around tomorrow.”

If Kennedy is ruled out, 24 year-old Fraser McInnes is the likely player to come into the senior team after he was withdrawn from WAFL action over the weekend.

Rookie McInnes has played a total of 12 senior games for West Coast and just one this season, in Round 8 against GWS.

Kennedy admitted returning for the Bombers game was not certainty.

“It’s going to push it I suppose; the six-day break probably doesn’t help as well,” he said.

“I just got a bit of a knock to the leg, it’s pretty much just a big corky,”

“Hopefully I don’t miss with a corky because I think the only bloke to miss with a corky was (former Eagle) Matty Rosa.”

WORTH THE WAITE
North Melbourne hope to see the dividends of their conservative strategy when Jarrad Waite returns from a calf complaint against the Western Bulldogs. The 35-year-old pulled out of the round-11 clash against the Brisbane Lions two minutes before the opening bounce after experiencing tightness in the warm-up. Waite managed 14 games in 2016 and just 10 last year after suffering mid-season injuries.

With their bye looming, the Roos made the decision to leave the veteran out of the round-12 encounter with Geelong to allow him to launch into the back half of the season refreshed.

“I’m confident he’ll play but that’s just my judgment … hopefully the medical staff clear him,” teammate Majak Daw told reporters on Tuesday.

“We love having him in the side because there’s not many players like him … he’s hard to match up on.

“He’s such a link between defence and attack.”

WEST COAST v ESSENDON
Thursday 21 June, 6.10pm at Optus Stadium

Eagles forward Josh Kennedy is set to miss the clash with the Bombers and will leave a huge hole in a forward line that is already missing Jack Darling with an ankle injury. 2017 draftee Jarrod Brander made his debut for the Eagles in last Friday’s loss to Sydney and will likely hold his spot. Tall Fraser McInness was pulled out of the WAFL on the weekend and looks set to come into the side, while defender Tom Barrass may also return to the team. Essendon tall defender Aaron Francis is edging towards playing his first AFL game of the season, after a cosnsitent run of form in the VFL. Thanks to the bye, Dyson Heppell has recovered from concussion, after a nasty incident with Luke Hodge back in Round 12. Young midfielders Dylan Clarke (38 disposals) and Kobe Mutch (33 disposals) continue to bang the door down with strong performances in the VFL.

PORT ADELAIDE v MELBOURNE
Friday 22 June, 7.20pm at the Adelaide Oval

Jack Watts is unlikely to be running out for the Power on Friday night, despite kicking three goals in the SANFL. Hinkley also confirmed young forward Todd Marshall will hold his spot, despite having just eight disposals against the Dogs. Defender Tom Jonas could return to the side, after missing last week’s clash with the Dogs due to a minor hamstring. At Melbourne, midfielders Dom Tyson (35 disposals) and Tom Bugg (34 disposals) might be looked at to provide extra grunt in the Demons’ midfield.

HAWTHORN v GOLD COAST SUNS
Saturday 23 June, 1.45pm at University of Tasmania Stadium

Defender James Frawley was a late withdrawal against Adelaide due to a migraine, but looks set to regain his spot in the Hawks’ side. The Hawks appears to be settled at the selection table, but midfielder James Cousins put his hand up for an AFL recall, with 37 disposals, 11 inside 50s and eight clearances. Suns midfielder Jack Bowes didn’t play the final quarter on the weekend, suffering a quad injury and will miss at least three weeks of football. The Suns also had a large number of players who went missing in their dismal final quarter against the Saints, and coach Stuart Dew may be inclined to make some changes. 21-year-old key forward Peter Wright booted two goals and had 22 disposals in the NEAFL.

BRISBANE v GWS GIANTS
Saturday 23 June, 4.35pm at the Gabba

The Lions are coming off a bye and their biggest injury concern includes coach Chris Fagan who requires surgery on his hamstring, after slipping out of the Freeze MND slide on Queen’s Birthday. In some good news for the club, young tall Sam Skinner is set to return to the field through the NEAFL, returning from a third knee reconstruction. Rory Lobb’s back injury comes at a bad time for the Giants, who face an uphill battle to sneak into the top eight. Lobb’s injury leaves the door open for veteran Dawson Simpson to play, or the Giants may hand a debut to young ruck Matt Flynn. The Giants will also be boosted by the return of vice-captain Stephen Coniglio, who has recovered from concussion.

WESTERN BULLDOGS v NORTH MELBOURNE
Saturday 23 June, 7.25pm at Etihad Stadium

There will be a number of changes at the kennel this week, with Easton Wood (hamstring), Jack Macrae (hamstring) and Lukas Webb (hand) all certain to come out of the side. Tom Boyd (hand), Marcus Bontempelli (knee) and Toby McLean (shoulder) are three other Dogs in doubt. Josh Dunkley and Lin Jong both had 25 disposals in Footscray’s 10 point win over Coburg, and will come into consideration. North Melbourne are also set to regain Jarrad Waite (calf) and Jed Anderson (hamstring) this weekend. Young players Tom Murphy and Cameron Zurhaar may be the two unlucky players to make way.

COLLINGWOOD v CARLTON
Sunday 24 June, 3.20pm at the MCG

Daniel Wells injured himself in the Magpies’ big win over the Demons on Queen’s Birthday and will miss a large chunk of the season. Ben Reid and Travis Varcoe are still at least another week away, but Wells’ injury might open up a spot for midfielder Brayden Sier, who continues to bang down the door with strong performances in the VFL. Former Giant Matt Kennedy had 29 disposals and 12 clearances, and will be a likely inclusion for the Blues. Defender Caleb Marchbank is probably another week away from an AFL return.